birthday party ettiquete

do you think it is rude to leave a childs party without telling the parents good by? what about not even getting the child a gift/card?

my SIL did this last week at my boys birthday.. we didnt even know she had left! and she didnt get them a gift, not even a card! i think its incredibly rude epically for family! i know money is tight for every one lately but you can get cards for a dollar!

2cuteboysrmine

Asked by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• (first anon here). That's *really* rude if you were sick and she ignored you and ran off. I guess she still could have a good reason, but it's not looking so good. I also don't understand not bringing anything. Becuase the kids will usually notice. And dollar store coloring book or something wouldn't have been a big deal to pick up on the way.

I just can't imagine every leaving family and not giving everyone a hug goodbye. You never know when you'll see them again.
    Anonymous

• Yes it's rude, but think about it from her side. Maybe she really needed to go and just couldn't find you? Parties can be hectic and the host is often running around trying to stay ahead of the game.
    Anonymous

• you can make a card
    or better yet
    have your child make a card
    should always say thank you and good bye to a host
    unless emergency
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It's just plain rude to not say thanks. The lack of gift is also rude because let's face it, if you go, you should bring something, even a hotwheel. Kids have parties expressly for the purpose of getting the loot. Moms know this and pay for the party.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I would not jump to conclusions before you talk to her. But, like PP said, she could have even MADE a card or, yes, you can get a card for a $1!! I would feel the same as you!! Sorry for that!! :(
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 3:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• anon.. that would make sence but i was SICK and sat on the same bench the whole party. my mom and grandmother and family watched the kids for me and pretty much ran the party! plus she has 5 kids.. gathering them all up without everyone knowing took being very quiet and sneeky!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• it is your sister so I would just be happy she stopped by at least you have one and I would love a nephew niece so get the bee out of your bonnet!
    Anonymous

• anon :17.. shut up... shes not my sister id slap my sister if she acted like that! its my SIL... sister IN LAW! and to have family be rude to you like that? you'd be happy? i doubt that
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• anon, I have NO family near me, so I get what you might feel. That doesn't excuse the fact that SIL could have been more respectful!!!!!
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 3:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Rude for her to have left without saying so...rude of YOU for expecting a card or gift.

Attending a party of any sort does NOT require the giving of a gift. It is generally done, though, but it's NOT a requirement.

She should have said she was leaving. You should not have expected anything other than her attending the party.
    Anonymous