Can you really freeze eggs?

I have a fridge full of eggs from between my WIC and Angel food stuff. Someone told me you could freeze them. Does that sound right to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes, but you cannot freeze them in the shell. The shell expands, cracks and allows bateria into the egg as it thaws.

Crack the eggs into a freezer-safe container or bag instead. (I think if the pockets are the right size, you could crack them into an ice cube tray and then cover it with plastic wrap. Then when you need an egg, just pop one free. (just don't toss one in your drink.... ewww)

Whenever I make a recipe that calls for only the whites or yolks of the egg, I freeze the other portion to use later.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• U can freeze them. Idk if it keeps them good longer tho. When mine do i toss em!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 3:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• yes,crack them into a ziploc freezer bag
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i used to freeze eggs in the shells all the time when we had chickens. they don't fry well after freezing because the yolk sac breaks open. i used these previously frozen eggs for baking. just let them thaw on the counter in a bowl and remove the shells. sometimes the shells crack and sometimes they don't.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:20 AM on Jul. 31, 2009