What are you thoughts on marriage?

I'm just curious cause some people believe it's just a paper & others believe that it should be there as a form of respect & commitment. I don't think people should rush into marriage but I do believe in it & what it stands for. Thanks for your answers...

luvmyangels3

Asked by luvmyangels3 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• My relationship didn't really change when I got "legally" married, but I do think it is often rushed into. I have no moral issue with living with someone that you are commited to. It's the same thing to me and it's also easier to get out if you have to.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 3:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I'm happily married; I didn't rush into it and I didn't get married because I was pregnant. We'd been married for 8 months before I got married. Marriage is a great thing and people need to take it more seriously - I don't believe in divorce.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 3:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I value marriage. I love my marriage. It's not a peice of paper.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I think marriage is an outward symbol of an inward commitment that my dh and I made to each other. For me, it was very important to be married before I had a child (I didn't get married because I was pregnant, but I did get pregnant in between the engagement and the wedding). Legally it makes things easier because there's just no question. And, I also think it makes harder to just throw in the towel and leave. Not that I want to, but being married brings a lot of legal "strings" that make it harder to separate - should make ppl work harder to keep it together.

Answer by missanc at 3:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I value marriage and everything that goes along with it. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't. He is not the same man I was in love with before. We've only been married for 4 months and it is falling apart at the seams. He does not respect me, and he has given me reasons to distrust him. We got married 4 months after the birth of our baby, so that wasn't our reason for marriage. We also survived a 15 month deployment. I just don't know. I want it to work, for I have known my husband for 8 years, but I feel his heart is going down a separate path. We can only begin to fix our problems when he accepts that they even exist, but, he doesn't choose to see it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I'm anti paper. I've been married 3 times and every time I signed my name on the dotted line the relationship changed. It turned into domestic servitude and the respect for me diminished. Now I believe in the relationship it'self and like mutual respect so I won't go near that paper "marriage" again. I'd rather be with someone bc I love them and want to be with them not out of obligation. Every time SO walks in my door I know it's bc he wants to be here, not bc he has to be here. that works for me

Answer by admckenzie at 3:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I love being married and since I married the right person I did not have that bad feeling a previous poster had 3 times. It wasn't marriage that changed things she was just with the wrong people. That piece of paper gives me rights to my home, cars and all we have. We got married soon after I was hospitalized with a very serious condition. My parents did not like my husband at all and since we were not married kicked him out of my room. Did not matter I had not spoken to my parents in a year or that I had lived with my husband for 5 years they were next of kin he was not. We had a will but my parents contested it and won. My husband was left in the cold and could not see me the entire 8 months I was in a coma. When I woke up I wanted him and ordered my parents out. We got married in the hospital. That piece of paper is important.

Anonymous

• I dated my ex-husband for two years before we married and things were good. After we married he was mentally, emotionally, and physically abusive. He cheated on me & wouldn't hold a job. We finally got divorced when he got someone else pregnant and I threatened to take everything we had if he didn't just sign divorce papers. My s/o and the father of my 8 and 5 year olds and I have been together 10 years. We're not married and have no intention of getting married. To me, it's just a piece of paper. People are going to do what they want- married or not. Honestly I see no benefits to being married. I was not raised that way and it drives my parents crazy since they have been married 40 years. Everything we own is paid for, our children are the beneficiaries of our life insurance policies, we have buriel insurance to pay for that if necessary, we have money in savings, and we both work so everything's taken care of.
    Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 11:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2009