What method do you use for a two year old who is hitting.

My inlaws are into hand slapping if he does something wrong or touches something he shouldnt. I find now that he hits me when he is frustrated,(has a language delay), and today he hit me and said "bad" when I didnt give im what he wanted!! I try to tell him "nice hands" and stroke him gently. He frustrates so easily when things dont go his way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What I did was grab my daughter's hand when she hit me and held her wrist (I made an "O" with my thumb and index finger so wasn't leaving a mark from holding her hand unless she pulled against me). I told her it's not nice to hit and you will not get your hand back until you stop hitting. She had a fit and would squirm and try to get her hand back. When she calmed down, I would let her go and then ask her to show me what she wanted.

Just what I did, may or may not work for you.
    Anonymous

• Time out.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 4:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2009