Should I get my four year olds guitars?

My four year old sons have been saying they have wanted a guitar for the last 6 months. DH and I are thinking of getting them one (or one each, that also is undecided) for Christmas. My cousin is a good player and will teach them a 1/2 hr each a week, and they would have 1/2 hr practices every day. I think it is a good form of concentration. If it goes well. What do you think? Is four too young?

LadyLuck13

Asked by LadyLuck13 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No. I wouldn't buy Gibson or anything super fancy at 4 but a decent beginners guitar wouldn't be a bad Idea. We are getting my oldest one (she'll be almost 3), she plays my acoustic all the time, and I want her to have her own.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I would def. encourage the boys to play guitar and would buy them for your boys, esp. since someone in the fam. can teach them. I know my middle son loves the piano. He plays at my moms house and i am thinking about lessons 4 him when he's 5 or 6. He will be 3 in Sept. so he just plays 4 fun now.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Definately not! Four is a good age- that if they have already requested it sometime ago, and they haven't let up on the idea, I feel it is something you should encourage. Especially, since a family member is offering to give them lessons. As long as it is in such a way that they have fun as well as learn the basics. One good tip- get them a good fit and let them choose it.
    calatres

Answer by calatres at 4:54 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Heck yeah!! Don't let them treat them like toys, though. And don't get them anything too expensive until they show a genuine interest! It's likely after a lesson or two they will lose interest!!! Maybe not, though. You might have the next Jimmy Hendrix on your hands!! :)
    Anonymous