Sleeping like a baby?

I need some advice. I rock my 9 month old daughter to sleep every night, she goes to sleep just fine, but on a really bad night will get up between 2 -6 times a night. I usually have to go in and rock her back to sleep. I am really not a fan of the CIO method but i would really like for her to be able to try to put herself back to sleep at night so that she doesnt have any future issues with it! any advice?
I will finish with this, i do NOT mind rocking my baby to sleep, in fact i love it and that is why i think she is having a problem putting herself to sleep, i just want my daughter to build some indenpence when it comes to this, so please no bashing. Thanks!

ht1403

Asked by ht1403 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cry it out is the only thing i found that worked. My son was waking me up 8-10 times a night. It was killing me. Three nights of the cry out it thing, and he was sleeping through the night.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 3:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• This is still in the rang of normal for a child of this age. Check out the wonderful book titles "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears and his wife (and nurse) Martha Sears. This book will tell you what is normal childhood development and appropart ways to respond to the different stages.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 3:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You can do a hibred form of CIO where baby only cries for a short tiem and you are near by or where you rub their back so help sooth back to sleep, jsut don't pick up. There are many options for sleep trianing. But no option will work over night, so do some research and find one you like and try it for 2 weeks. If it doesn't help, try another method.

THere are also many reasons why a child would be waking so much. At this age, teething or ear infections could cause it. Maybe hunger, too. Try to be patient and sleep when you can. It will get better before too long.
    Anonymous

• ROCKING YOUR BABY TO SLEEP WILL NEVER ALLOW HER TO BECOME INDEPENDENT,SHES ALWAYS GONNA RELY ON YOU BEING THERE TO ROCK HER TO SLEEP....THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS IS CIO...I HATED THE THOUGHT OF IT BUT AFTER 2 1/2 YEARS OF INTERRUPTED SLEEP I GAVE IT A TRY AND I WISH I WOULD OF BEEN TRIED IT OUT!
    Anonymous

• Here's something that might help link

Anonymous

• Thank you all for your answers, I agree when you said that she will never be independent if i rock her, i tried asking on here one other time for some advice and apparently i am selfish because i want to be able to get her to sleep on her own! (they said that i should rock her to sleep and not complain b/c she is only this age once.) and while i agree that she is only this age once and that i should cherish all the time that i have with her (which i DO), i dont want her to have sleep issues when she gets older....like i did! So thank you again for all your help and the link!
    ht1403

Answer by ht1403 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I cuddled my oldest to sleep every night until he was ready to go to sleep on his own. It DOES happen. He is very independant. When he started preschool at 3, he wanted us to just drop him off so he could go in by himself. He was upset when we HAD to go in to sign him in. He was still being cuddled to sleep every night at that time. He now goes to sleep by himself every night.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 10:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Maybe I'm just cruel but we have been teaching my DD to put herself back to sleep since about 3 mos. It's something all babies need to learn, in my opinion. We do a sort of modified CIO, where we go in and check on her every 10-20 mins. She can easily put herself back to sleep now and she is 4.5 mos. That doesn't mean she sleeps through the night, but if she wakes up, she can get herself back to sleep.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:45 AM on Jul. 31, 2009