Moms aren't in favor of this - are they??

The Democrats Want Your Kids by Ashley Herzog
http://townhall.com/columnists/AshleyHerzog/2009/07/29/the_democrats_want_your_kids

Summer School: What? No More Vacations?By GILBERT CRUZ 07/27/09
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1910973,00.html

waldorfmom

Asked by waldorfmom at 3:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This would basically mean that our children would have what our standard work schedule is for adults. I don't agree with that. Children need to have time to be children. Kids are doing things now in 2nd grade that I didn't even know existed until I was in 6th grade. I'm in no way against a good education but we put alot of pressure on children to grow up before they get a chance to be a child. 8 hour days is too much. The average person has a hard time concentrating on a subject for more than an hour straight without having a break. I work in a call center enviornment where everything I do is being scored, it is extremely stressful. Its basically like school (someone telling you that you need better quality scores or be punished, alot like school actually). I don't want my son going through 8 hours a day worth of stress. Now I do think splitting up the breaks throughout the year would work, but not longer days
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 12:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I think that is schools are failing and if there are students in some schools who are not up to where they should be educationally, I am for it. It will cost more money-and that is where I think it will have a problem.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• **if**
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I'm not going to let my kids go to school year round. If it comes down to that, I will homeschool. Kids need - and deserve - a break.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 3:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Article by Ashley Herzog:
    "No, really. If you think I’m being hyperbolic, you need to read an article in the latest issue of Time magazine, titled “Summer School: What? No More Vacations?” If Obama’s Education Secretary Arne Duncan has his way, your kids will be in government schools eight hours a day, twelve months a year.
    Liberals will no doubt portray this as another altruistic “Save the Children” plan, as well as a taxpayer-funded babysitting service for low-income women and moms who have better things to do than raise their own kids. (“Mom isn't waiting at home at 2:30 with a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich. That just doesn't happen in many American families anymore,” Duncan says in the article.) They’ll recite the pointless factoid that summer vacations are an outdated product of America’s farming culture.
    Don't be fooled. There are two reasons Democrats want your kids to ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

THAT isn't the point-its really about failing schools and trying to help these kids. But, maybe I missed something. I would think that there would be some sort of smaller break? There is a school here that just started back-but it is considered a year round school and I think they had a few weeks off.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You're crazy. This isn't the first time this issue has come around. It has actually been talked about before in certain areas where the kids aren't where they should be educationally, blame who you want-parents, teachers, etc. This isn't anything new. As far as your spew of "government schools 8 hour days" whatever. It will still be public school.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I live in California, and did a good bit of homeschooling with our 3 kids. The gov't antagonism toward homeschooling is chilling - it is a right which is far from secure.

Totalitarian governments separate the children off from their parents as much as possible, and put a LOT of indoctrination into the school work. So I sit up and take notice every time I get a whiff of the US gov't taking a page from the Soviets or the Nazis, or the jihadists ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• well-I don't know anything about home schooling-but I do know that what they are talking about in this article is helping kids reach where there peers are. Obama isn't the first president to address this issue.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• The school system is failing our children as are we (society as a whole that is). They are being rushed thru the system schools are being modified from teaching "everything" to specializing the kids education. Now middle & HS's have "vocation" programs where they're asking a child in middle & HS to decide what they'd like to do or at least what area they'd be interested in and then the kids are separated into sections; some students will get math/science heavy classes and some will have English/History heavy classes etc; all tailored specifically for whatever 'vocation' program they're in. So rather than learning everything they're learning less and being asked to decide a life path at 12-13 years old. Insanity!

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2009