Is it true that most German's do not feel remorse about the holocause?

I had a Professor in college who was a German and he openly said that he had no remorse about what happened because he wasn't there.Kind of reminds me of slavery in this country, but anyway (i will not even go there :) I mean you don't have to be there to feel bad about what happened right? I am just curious, please do not bash.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• *Holocaust, sorry.

Anonymous

• A lot of the older generations deny it even happened.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Course one does not have to of been there to feel something BUT I am missing your point I guess.I mean what do think should happen? What is it whites today should do for blacks of today neither of which WERE THERE?
    Anonymous

• I don't believe that. Germans are very ashamed of the Holocaust and of Hitler and his men. Maybe that Professor was just a cold-hearted jerk. We were in Germany for 7 years and got to know many Germans who were wonderful people and they appreciated the American Military and what they did to rid Germany of Hitler's evil regime.
    Anonymous

• Maybe "remorse" is not the right word.. I do feel badly that it happened, and do hope it never happens again but I don't feel remorse.
    •compunction: a feeling of deep regret (usually for some misdeed)
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

•Remorse is an emotional expression of personal regret felt by a person after he or she has committed an act which they deem to be shameful, hurtful, or violent. Remorse is closely allied to guilt and self-directed resentment. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remorse

•A feeling of regret or sadness for doing wrong or sinning; Sorrow; pity; compassion
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/remorse

•remorseful - contrite: feeling or expressing pain or sorrow for sins or offenses
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

•remorseful - Feeling or filled with remorse; Expressing or caused by remorse
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/remorseful

•ED. Flammarion,
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I don't think they should feel remorse per se. Like the professor stated they weren't there. Like the rest of us they should be horrified it happened at all and people all died for one crazy person's beliefs. They shouldn't feel remorse just because they happen to be German.

sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 4:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I don't think, being of German descent, that I need to feel remorseful for something I didn't do. I don't think that I need to be remorseful for an act I didn't commit. I can acknowledge that it was wrong and agree that steps should be taken to help society ensure that it doesn't happen again but should I degrade myself to make another feel better? Nope.

Much like your beginning comment about slavery. Do I need to debase myself to make someone else feel better about a situation that neither of us was alive to experience. Nope. Do I appreciate having it thrown in my face as though I am responsible for it? Nope.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yeah, all Germans. Are you kidding me?
    Anonymous

• My sister lived in Germany for a while and told me that in general, most germans are deeply ashamed that their country was responsible for so many deaths and so much hate.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 4:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• One shouldn't have to feel remorse for something they didn't do.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 4:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2009