Is it wrong to ignore your child when they are having tantrums at home or in public?

Do you ignore your childs tantrums or do you feed into it? How do you react to your child's tantrums in public places?

momofonewntmore

Asked by momofonewntmore at 3:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• at home I ignore him for a while, but if it lasts longer than 10-15 min then he gets put in his room. in public I get down to his level and whisper quietly that if he doesnt stop Im going to find him a corner, and I will point at one, and say im gonna put you in time out if you dont stop. and that usually ends it. if not he goes to the corner.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I calmly tell them that it is not ok then leave if they continue
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I remove my kid from the situation, be it to a bathroom or my car. Other people shouldnt have to endure that just because my kid is being a brat.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I don't ignore my son when he has a meltdown in public. I will let him cry and then let him know he needs to get it together. I have other things to take care of other than him crying and I won't put up with it. I see people who cater to their kids when they throw themselves on the floor, screaming, throwing things and the parent just stands there. When I see the parent just stand there and do nothing it's pretty obvious that they may think they are allowing the child to be "creative" and exert themselves but to everyone else who has to listen to it and watch, we know that the kid runs the parents.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If they are throwing a tantrum in public, I will take them outside until they settle down. If we are already outside, I will pull them aside and tell them I will not tolerate a tantrum. I've been known to turn around and take my son home if he doesn't behave. Now he knows, he decides to act up, he doesn't get to do the fun things.
    Anonymous

• In public, no just because i dont think everyone else should have to hear her scream. At home, sure. Eventually they stop. Most of the time.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• For me it depends. My daughter has a medical condition, and the lights/sounds of the store seem to trigger her. We were working with a developmentatl therapist that told me I was to ignore all outburst. We tried that..

SHE did ok.. but the evil looks from the other Moms in the store brought me to tears. So the next time you see a child throwing a tantrum, and the parent is ignoring it...remember that you may not know WHAT is really going on.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 4:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• At home-if my kids had a tantrum,I would leave the room,and ignore them..it stopped fast. Out in public-- I would remove my child from the place,being shopping(leave the whole thing there) restaurants,movie-whatever the place, and bring them home,and tell them they are not going anywhere with you again till they learn to behave. If they were to young to understand that, I would wait for the father,before I went out,this way he could watch his kid..
    Somma

Answer by Somma at 4:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son is autistic and his meltdowns often come from piercing sounds. It has taken years for us to get that behavior under control. Having a special needs child and trying to get the day to day activities done in a timely manner is hard enough let alone to add tantrums in to it.

It works much better to remove the child if possible or firmly let the child know enough is enough.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• At home (family/friends) - I either ignore the tantrum or laugh at them.

In public we they get two warnings then we leave. Period; end of story. I have walked away from full shopping carts in Wal-Mart before; after an hour of shopping; almost done and they just wouldn't stop...I could not subject people in-line to listening to that while we waited to be checked out; I told a clerk on our way out where I'd left the cart so the cold things wouldn't go bad; apologized and left; carrying two screaming toddlers to the car...
    Anonymous