Do you think people get treated differently when they are on assistance?

I'm not saying FoodStamps and I am saying the people that don't have insurance and are on Assistance for their child and themselves.

Do you think Doctors overlook those patients and don't really care, or do you think they get treated the same?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Health

• Yes i do think that! They over looked my son when he had serious bleeding of his brain. He almost died because they wouldnt run the right test. I took me coming up with 36,000 to take him to a specialist for them to run the test. Come to find out he had the problem since he was born
    Anonymous

• Yes. Let's give credit where due though, Like the anon listed above, it was the insurance that would not provide the right test. I know lots of docs who will not even dream of taking medicaid r/t they reimburse terribly and they won't let you give proper care as a physician.
    Anonymous

• Yes. When my oldest was a baby we were on State insurance. We actually had doctors lie to me flat out about what was required of me as a parent and what I HAD to do as a parent... Also, we do not vaccinate, and the doctor actually told me that if I didn't vaccinate my kids would die and it would be my fault. I dont think they ever would have treated me like that if I had regular benefits. They acted like I was stupid and couldn't possibly know what I was talking about just because I was on state insurance..

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I worked in a PT clinic and sometimes our course of treatment had to be different for ppl on our state subsidized health insurance. We could not do things they wouldn't pay for. It is the same for Medicare patients too. It sucks!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I think the doctors have to respond to whatever insurance you have, so people with all kinds of insurance are treated "differently".
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• When I had my first child I was on Medicaid (my husband got laid off when I was 3 months pregnant). My OB, the nursing staff, the hospital staff all treated me wonderfully. I even got the largest maternity suite in the hospital. (Honestly, I had been terrified that I would be treated badly).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2009