what motivates you to clean?

I will clean and clean for a day then do nothing the rest of the week (aside from the dishes every two or three days... whenever we run out of clean ones) my house looks like the ones on clean sweep most of the time... I always tell myself I'm going to clean and keep it that way but then never do. I just don't seem to have the motivation... HELP!!!! how do you stay motivated to clean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I am somewhat of a perfectionist && I truly think that I am borderline OCD. I HATE when things are out of place. I am always cleaning, to the point where my SO gets mad at me b/c I won't sit down. I'm not sure what it is, I just absolutely despise being in a dirty house. Plus, we have company all the time, && I don't like anyone else seeing my house dirty either. I don't clean the entire house everyday, but I do clean the kitchen && living room every day.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• the dirt...

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• WHEN I GO TO OTHER PEOPLE'S HOUSE'S AND ITS SO FILTHY AND DISGUSTING .....AS SOON AS I COME HOME I START CLEANING ...MY HOUSE IS USUALLY SPOTLESS....I DONT WANT PEOPLE COMING TO MY HOUSE AND SAYING "OH LOOK HOW DIRTY IT IS SHE MUST SIT ON HER BUTT ALL DAY AND DO NOTHING"! I'M NOT CONSTANTLY CLEANING I JUST PICK UP AFTER IM DONE USING SOMETHING AND EVERYTHING HAS ITS PLACE AND DURING THE WEEK I DO A BIG CLEAN,LIKE DUST,CLEAN WINDOWS,MOP,WASH BEDDING,ETC!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I keep the kitchen and living room clean (vacuumed, dishes done, things put away etc) and the laundry done on a daily basis. Then I clean the bathrooms 3x a week just a quick wipedown..then I clean the bedrooms once a week. then i do a the deep cleaning stuff like windows walls cupboards fridge once a week. if you make some sort of schedule you will find it is easier to stick to and keep your home looking nice
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 7:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Having company over motivates me every time. And it can't be family, because I figure they've seen my house at its worst so another time won't matter. It has to be actual guest guests. Then I clean. Some stuff gets tucked into a box that I later have to deal with, but the house is clean. It is different for the bathrooms and the kitchen, though. I want the bathrooms clean all the time, same with the kitchen, although the kitchen doesn't get straightened up until company comes, but at least the countertops, sinks, and floor are clean.

Answer by Bmat at 8:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I HATE having the kitchen and bathroom dirty!!! Those have to be cleaned everyday. I clean everyday but it doesnt look like it at the end of day. When I am working full time (back at in Aug,) then things slip. The laundry doesnt get put away......etc. I think my biggest motivation is when my brother told me that a persons house should be cleaned in a manner in which you think you are having company everyday so thats what I do-most of the time. Then instead of being at for hours and hours one day, you do a little bit everyday. My kids say I clean too much sometimes so I hope I dont raise them to be slobs!!! My mom and grandmas house was always immaculate too. Mine is never that good but I try. So just try thinking to yourself, company is coming today so I need to clean...and then the next day think the same thing etc etc. Good Luck
    kristysue68

Answer by kristysue68 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I'm with HisMommySince07...... Anything out of place motivates me to clean.... I cant stand to see dishes in the sink for more than an hour let alone a few days.. I get upset when the couch pillows are out of place (my Dh's bad habit). We have an extra room upstairs, and instead of turning it into an office, I turned it into the kids' playroom so they wont have toys all over their rooms and my house. I still make my son clean that too when it gets out of hand. I have a covered porch with carpet and I vacuum that once a week. I do big major cleaning once a week, but I straighten constantly.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I don't know, but when you figure it out, please let me know LOL. I keep things mostly picked up, but I have a 2 year old that destroys the house in a matter of seconds every single day UGH. Seems there is never an end! I really scrub everything down (except the bathroom and kitchen, which are kept wiped down all the time) when we are having company. I have learned a lot of patience since having a child. I'd rather spend my time with her :)
    PeaInMyPod

Answer by PeaInMyPod at 1:00 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It takes discipline and self kindness to build a new habit. Instead of trying to tackle the whole house at one time, just convince yourself to do that one thing per day that will make life much easier. Dishes, a load of towels, etc. Do it every day for 30-40 days. Some days you might do more, but never let yourself do less. If you slip up, just get up the next morning and let it be a fresh day. Once that becomes a habit, add something to what is now your daily routine.

You can also spend 15 minutes taking care of the thing that "bothers you the most" in every public room in my house. You can do just about anything for 15 minutes. Keep track of the time and stop at the 15 minute mark. Then take a look at what you have accomplished in that short amount of time. You might be surprised. It might motivate you to finish what you started, but use that energy in the next room.
    Shehaub

Answer by Shehaub at 5:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Hey any of you ladies that are obsessed with cleaning can come clean my house anytime! I hate cleaning...I live in an 800sq ft apartment with my husband and 2 kids and its just to much crap...not dirty just cluttered way way cluttered. We are moving so I need a final out clean lol. I need motivation and moving should be it...but we have 30 days till we leave Alaska and its 3am and im sitting on my ass!

ajnattysmommy

Answer by ajnattysmommy at 6:24 AM on Jul. 31, 2009