Incorrect Due Date?

My mom first suspected that my sister was pregnant early last November when she passed out. Well, my sister is pregnant, but the early ultrasound placed her due date at September 6.
Two days ago, my sister bled a little and was in the hospital with contractions. She's dilated to 3 cm and her cervix is very thin, but the baby is not head down. She was sent home and put on bed rest.
Is it possible that her due date is wrong and her baby is due earlier than expected???

allans_girl

Asked by allans_girl at 5:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• could be or maybe not..... my due date is september 4th i'm 2cm dilated and have been having contractions and my cervix is thin, my ob said i could have my baby any time from now to september
    Anonymous

• Most due dates given in Dr's offices are wrong, because they are based of a 28 day cycle (which is the average, but how many women actually fit that? A very small percentage). Additionally, ultrasounds can judge things very incorrectly. However, it is not likely her due date would be off by that much. She should take things easy (don't want t preterm infant unless absolutely necessary).

Yet, the cervix can start to thin ans soften long before the baby gives the final Q to start labor. She is getting close to her due date, so I think need for concern is much less than if she was at 20 weeks.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 6:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2009