We are switching the custody arrangement for a week, Any advice?

We have legal paperwork that is allowing my husband and his ex wife to swap the custody for one week, and then to go back to the original custody agreement. Has anyone ever done this? Biomom wants more time, but isn't really mentally stable, and is somewhat cold toward her son. My stepson really doesn't want more time with her. My husband and I are nervous about it because there are a lot of things that slip through the cracks there. Like brushing teeth, taking allergy medicine, drinking water, and eating healthy. Showers are an occasional thing at mom's house as is washing hands and face. She petitioned the courts for more time, however, our attorney argued that she can't handle him the times she has him. So the judge agreed to this as a trial if you will. Any advice for either parent or me, or our son? Has anyone done this before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• i hope all goes well...

as the step mother who only sees her SD eow.. which im guessing is what your BM has now, it is very hard to enforce any kind of rules within that short amount of time... and im VERY strict ive never seen my sd brush her teeth, or take a shower unless forced, and even then i doubt she does it... how old is your stepson? also just becuase somethings slip through the cracks dosent mean shes a bad mother.. maybe becuase she sees him so little its hard for her to bond? i dont know the whole story im just giving both of you the benifit of the doubt and also you another side of the story... if you would like to talk feel free to pm me...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 6:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2009