night terrors

So today my nephew's mom texted me asking if my DD gets night terrors. I guess her son has been getting them (they are the same age). Well then she goes on to say she believes they are because of past life experiences. That he must have died a painful death in a past life. Now I try not to get into that too much with her, because I would rather focus on the medical reasonings behind night terrors. So I told her what some other causes of them are (sleep deprivation, separation anxiety, developmental leaps, etc). I told her to be sure he's on a strict sleeping schedule (so he is sure to get enough sleep).. and to give him a warm bath and massage before bed to help with growing pains. But she completely ignored all medical reasonings behind them, and keeps trying to say it HAS to be from what she believes it is from. Any suggestions that I could talk to my brother about, so he can try to reason with her?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 5:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with KristiS, but also have her put a bit of the lavendar under his mattress at the head of the bed..
    My gs was having night terrors basically his brain didn't stop and rest when the rest of him did... he would reinact his entire day, but bc his brain was so tired they turned to night terrors... now you knowing me as a Witch, I also helped with his night terrors my way and they have stopped... but basically kids are active and at times their minds do not shut down to rest like they are suppose too...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Tell her to add Lavender to the bath and he gets plenty of rest so that the night terrors will be spirited away!? I don't know..
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. There isn't a medical way to cure the night terrors anyway. If that's what she believes you aren't going to change her mind. Who knows, maybe she's right :)

Anonymous

• It actually occurs when a person wakes up during the dream state. The eyes are trying to process the surroundings, but the brain is occupied with the dream. This can cause temporary hallucination. The kids outgrow them eventually. A nice soothing bedtime routine is a good idea. I won't completely dismiss her theory, but if that is what she thinks is the cause encourage the child to talk about it. Remind them that the past is well past and that their life is here and now. He is no longer part of his past life. He is currently her child. Either way ride out the nights as best you can. They will come to pass as he gets older.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I agree with the ladies above. While I do believe that SOME night terrors can be caused by past life experiences, I don't think that all are. Some medical conditions cause them. So, if one of my kids ever start having them, I will go through medical routes first. Also, tell her to try melatonin (sp?). It is a completely natural sleep aid that is in low supply in some people and affects their sleep.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• UUummm.....Night Terrors....my kids' pediatrician told me that it is just a normal thing in childhood. It can be caused for any number of reasons. Mind is too active before Sleep. Not enough Sleep. Or there may no real reason for them at all other than he is just having them. The Melatonin advice is good. But don't go any higher than 5mg. doses. Read him a "happy" nighttime story. Rub his back before sleep, say a prayer with him. Keep his night schedule on a routine if possible.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Oh, this probably belongs in a different section, but it's good to know....My oldest daughter used to get horrible growing pains in her legs at night. Night after night, she would awaken crying with her legs hurting. Someone told me to put a bar of soap like Lever 2000 at the foot of her bed between the sheets and it would stop the pain. I doubted it, but thought I'd give it a try and IT WORKED!!!
    I couldn't believe it, but she slept with a bar of soap between the sheets for two years and never did have any more trouble with her legs hurting at night.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2009