how did you know your husband was "the one?"

I'm engaged to a really great guy but I'm starting to wonder if he's really what I want. I'm 9 months pregnant with his kid (due sunday)and wonder if that's why I'm feeling this way, but I'm really noticing things that piss me off and gross me out about him... I can't help but wonder if this is really who I want to spend the rest of my lofe with...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• When I realized he was the One it was as though a truck had hit me. It happened all of the sudden. I knew I liked him and respected him and enjoyed being around him. I sat down to read something he'd hand written and kapow! I couldn't read it because I was so startled, and realized that I loved the guy. It was an overwhelming feeling based on deep respect and admiration. Over the next few days we talked of important issues in a marriage, children and child-rearing, handling of finances, what about if extended family needed help, like that. I felt that when we were apart that I wasn't complete. Let's see, this all happened about 40 years ago. Married for 39. Still love him.

Answer by Bmat at 5:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I've had an instant attraction for him since I met him about 8 years ago in high school. But I really knew how much I needed him in my life and how much I loved him when he was deployed for 15 months. I thought about him everyday and the thought of being with someone else never even crossed my mind. I knew he was coming home to me, so that was what kept me strong and faithful during that time. If our relationship could survive that, it could survive anything.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I think that at this point in time, It's too late for you to be deciding if your guy is the right one. You have already chosen him. Ideally, that is decided, then you get married, then you have children. When you get the process out of order, you think of the child and you stick by your original decision. Did you know that daddies are really more important to a child than are mommies? Children get their sense of security more from their dads. Little boys learn from their dads how to be men. Little girls get from their dads their senses of self-worth and they learn from him what to look for when they get ready to find a husband. Little girls needs their daddies to tell them that they are pretty, that they are special. The dirty little secret is that the next guy you would select would be just like this one, so you may as well keep him and the two of you try to make a life together and make a home for this little child.
    Anonymous

• When I was willing to be loyal and faithful to him despite him living hundreds of miles away (he's military), for over a year, when living in the party city (Miami), and 21 years old.

I had all the odds against me, but he was the one man I wanted. His voice, his intelligence, his empathy, his compassion, his diligence were all things that made me know he was the one. I fell in love the man after a few months of knowing him, and it was then that I knew I wanted to be with him for the rest of my life.

Don't get married just for the baby. Living in a messed up household wiht no love is worse than anything. Get to know him better, and think if you're willing to love him FOREVER despite those flaws that you speak of.
    vanessa5470

Answer by vanessa5470 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• With me, I was a skeptic about the word love. I wanted someone to treat me like a lady and he did. He was the only one. When I realized that I truly was falling in love and that there would never be anyone else for me but him...I did freak. But, it's just a feeling I couldn't fight. I love him. I can't explain it. I just do. He's the best that God has made for me.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 5:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If you are wondering, then it means you aren't ready. I'd almost say it should be what is best for your baby. When you decided to have a baby, your priorities had to change to what was best for the baby. So if not getting married is better for the baby, then this is how you should make your decision. But it seems to me if you are having doubts that you need to step back, besides it isn't fair to the man to make him think you are certain when you aren't. I hope it all works out for all of you.

Answer by Bmat at 6:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My husband and I worked together for 2 years and he was 19 when one of our coworkers told me he had a crush on me. I was 25 and already had a 6 yr old (my son). I went out with him once and could tell he was falling hard 2 fast. I told him that he had his whole life ahead of him and he didnt need me to tie him down, but deep down in my head, I knew I was making a mistake. Then we both went out with a$$holes, for about 6 months or so. I broke up with mine first, and I was enjoying my single life until my DH came up to me and asked me advice about his current situation. So of course I told him that she wasnt right and he dont deserve to be treated that way. I bided my time until they broke up, which they did. His manager asked me if I would date him (DH) and of course I said I would, but I didnt wanna be a rebound. His mngr told him what I said and we started dating. After about a month it hit me, he's the ONE
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I just always knew. Silly as it sounds. From the first time I looked at him I just had this feeling... then getting to know him was unbelieveable.

We have a beautiful baby on the way due on monday (just a day after you!!!) And I couldn't be in more love. He's my best friend. I think you just know ]
    Anonymous