What do you think about our lawmakers not reading the full bill before they pass them ?

I heard something about this on news.I believe it is on the health care bill.The guy pretty much stated that the bill was to long and that it would require lawyers to read it.Can someone fill me in on the details about it.I only caught the tail end of it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Okay if the lawmakers have to read it than who wrote it?
    Anonymous

• I think its crap that they are not reading it.....I contacted all my representatives and congress people to read before passing it.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 6:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• lol Good question 6:19 OP I will post something in ref to what you are speaking of in a minute.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• not  surprised

rose549

Answer by rose549 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Honestly - I feel it should be illegal.
    1.) A very large # of Senators and Congressmen have law degrees of some kind and thus should be able to decipher these bills just fine.
    2.) If they are not or can not - why isn't there a lawyer appointed to both sides or for each Sen/House member to 'hire' their own to review documents in their offices and prepare reports for them - not unlike many CEO's ask their asst's to do; here read this and give me the highlights; etc...although I'd prefer my laws to be scrutinized a bit more than that!

It's really very simple; how can you possibly know how your constituents feel about a bill/law/measure if you yourself as their rep haven't bothered to read it? I mean come on now; that is just plain common sense. And I think we should all be letting them know that if they are not going to properly represent us; than we will make sure next time to elect someone who will!

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• OP here-Thanks for the link tnmomofive.
    Anonymous

• They didn't read the stimulus bill before they passed it, why would they read the heathcare bill. It's stupid, crazy and just downright direspectful to Americans who have to live by the rules their bills make. Of course it is wrong. In my opinion they should be required to have it all read in congress s-l-o-w-l-y before being allowed to vote.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I saw some Congressman on tv talking about how he had asked for money to hire to lawyers to read it for him.

That is just nuts. Our entire original constitution, the one this country was founded upon is just 4 handwritten pages long!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Everyone in Congress should know what is in the bill, what changes have been added, and how it will affect the American people. To pass a bill without having read it is dispicable.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2009