How do I convince my 3 1/2 year old to poop (sorry if TMI) in the toilet? UPDATE!

I am having THE hardest time getting my 3 1/2 yr old son to poop in the toilet/potty. He has been holding it for the last couple of weeks until I have to give a suppository to make him poop. I don't think I really need to convince him persay as I am the adult here! But how do I do this? We have been potty training with him going on six months, with the pooping part anyways. He has been peeing in the toilet for about a year with no accidents. Goes to bed with underwear on and wakes up dry. Will not even poop in a diaper or pull-up if offered. He says he is scared of the toilet, but after he is made to go he is so proud of himself. This is breaking my heart please help if you can.

He went in and did it all by himself! I didn't pressure him or chide him after that first week, and he DID IT! I am so proud of my little man!

jenree33

Asked by jenree33 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm so glad he went by himself :).. keep up the encouragement and he should continue to go with no more future problems.. if however, he relapses, you can always try the reward system..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yay!!! Congrats!!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Hooray! Did you have a grand parade? Or sing the poopy in the potty song? Good for him and you! =)
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Rather than suppository's try straight grape juice or apple juice then it will come out eaiser and he will have a strong urge to go also fiber if hes constipated...
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 5:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2009