How do I make my home "homey"??

With an upcoming b-day party, I am embarrassed to have anyone over! I try to keep a clean home (hard to do with 3 boys) and I think I am ok at decorating. My problem is my HB! There is always things get done and fix and it takes him forever! He is a slob! I work to keep things nice but he wont do his part. I want the sheds cleaned out and my porches fixed and the house roof fixed....etc etc. I am so worried about what other people think especially family that is visiting from out of state. I cant do this all myself-altho I try! What should I do?? Its too hard to not worry about what others think! I want my farm to be picture perfect and its SO far from it! UGH! Please help! He says he will fix whatever it is but it never gets done! It took a year for him to put a walk in door on the garage! OMG! He can do all of it he just chooses not to and would rather help everyone else! Thanks for your advice!

kristysue68

Asked by kristysue68 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• When my husband delays too long for home-repair jobs, I hire it done. It encourages him next time to do it himself, since it is cheaper. However there are repair jobs that are really hard that I hire done anyway, to save him the aggravation. You might want to pick up the most urgent tasks and tell your husband you plan to interview a couple people to do the job. See if this gets him motivated.

Answer by Bmat at 6:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Tell your husband you plan to interview a couple people to do the jobs he won't do. See if this gets him motivated. If not you tell himHe need to find a wayto pay someone to do it or u will.
    Anonymous

• Make your hubby a list of what needs to be done and how much each item would cost if you hired someone to do it. Tell him he has until "X day" to get the list done or you are calling pro's to do the work.

To make the house homey, use candles, pics of kids and family. Plant flowers or have flowers in planters on the porch that are bright colors. Something to distract the eyes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My hubby is a slob too, so I just started to do things myself. If you have tv watch hgtv/diy/fln they give me a lot of ideas design wise and if you don't..go on ratemyspace.hgtv.com and post some pictures of your home and ask for ideas.
    Fourcheeks4

Answer by Fourcheeks4 at 1:33 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• HGTV and DIY channels are your friends. As well as the internet. Step-by-step guides from Hardware stores, too. Heck, Lowes and Home Depot usually host some type of class on a regular basis to teach people how to do things safely! Try getting in on one of those. My DH is pretty good about fixing things for me, it's just that I don't like it when he gets into the storage sheds. I can have them all organized but 5 minutes after he LOOKS at them I am back to square one.

As for decorating and "homey"-ing up your house: When you hang photos, remember to hang them in odd numbers and in similar frames. They don't have to match, just have something in common (all black but different styles, all oval but different colors, etc.). Mattes are your friends! Don't put too many knicknacks out. That just gets too busy. When cleaning up, put things in bags for a yard sale! Quick and easy...
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2009