Does this really honor the fallen?

I'm posting in P&CE because this is a current event. They're naming a new destroyer after one of my husband's friends who died in Iraq saving the other Marines that were with him at the time. We heard this on the news tonight.

Another of our friends doesn't see how that honors him because in his words 'no one cares what or who those ships are named for.'

What's your opinion?

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 6:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I can see where your friend might think that but - for example- there are a few streets in the town I lived named after one guy who I'd never heard of (when we moved here) and everytime we went down one of those streets, my husband and I both would be like "WHO is this guy and what did he do that was so special?" and we looked him up. And now I know. I think anybody who has a shipped named after them must have been pretty special.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• IMO-i think it does. its an honor to have something named after you (especially military crafts). you have to earn that honor so i think it is a way of honoring/remembering him
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I think it is neat!! Honestly what could they do that would honor him and people would pay a lot of attention??? There will always be many who don't pay attention, but then there will be those who ask how the ship got its name! I would prefer a destroyer over a plaque on a wall somewhere that no one ever reads as they walk by.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• To me it does. I have been to several Army posts where they have named certain things after fallen soldiers. One example is at Ft. Benning, there is a range named after someone. It has a sign that tells about that person and why they chose to name it after him. I think it is interesting to learn about that person, even if he has been gone for 30+ years now.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It is one of the highest honors any military person can get. What kind of friends to you have?
    Anonymous

• If it's an honor to his family and his decendants than it's an honor to his memory. If they don't care and won't pass that knowledge on down the line; than it becomes just a name.

Thank you to him and his family; and condolences on the loss.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• well my dad was in the korean war and on the uss new jersey.he still has the huge picture in the livingroom with all his ship mates.i think this was the best time of my fathers life.(the comrodery)sp.....so i think me and my dad would have to disagree with your friend.
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 6:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I think its a great honor.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• :53 Anon it was one of my hubby's high school buddies who doesn't really know anything about the military that made the remark about it not being noteworthy.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 7:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• To name a ship after someone is one of the highest honors you can receive. I can tell you and your friends know nothing about the military.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2009