What is the proper response when someone tells you your child looks like you?

So what do you say when someone says "Oh! He/She looks just like you!"
I usually say, "Thank you," but it never sounds right to me. I mean, is it arrogant to assume that statement is a compliment?

Asked by LadyJag at 9:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• Lol! I'm right there with you. I usually try and say something like, "yeah she's got my eyes and nose, but I think she has her Daddy's chin" or whatever feature for each kid.

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I'm tickled that my son looks more like me.

Answer by pipandmijosmom at 9:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I know exactly what you mean! I never know what to say, and "Thank you." is just what comes out, but it does seem weird.

However, Alyssa does look just like you. And yes you can take that as a compliment. She's beautiful and so are you.

Answer by LelandsMommy at 9:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• When they say that about my son I just say, "Yeah, I think so, too. He definitely favors his Mommy!"

Answer by HeathersBabies at 9:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I can't imagine anyone would say you are ugly (not to your face, right?) so take it as a compliment!!

Answer by Kid_Coach at 9:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• "ya makes sense then" then smile and say thanks

Answer by Ambreelulu at 10:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I hear that alot w my youngest. Who is really a mini me. I found a pic of me when I was two and we are identical but I have long hair. I just say thanks, I cloned him! LOL!

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I used to get that all of the time with my son. I would always say thanks ro yes he does and sometimes I did say yes everyone says that. But then someone said to me he looks just like daddy and I said you think? Because he was without a doubt my twin lol.

Answer by mamakate1981 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I just say "That's what I hear" and they usually laugh.

Answer by Krowla at 7:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I take it as a compliment to me because I know my son is beautiful! :) I always say thank you.

Answer by rasbneon at 10:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2008