My DH is the bestman in a wedding

I feel cheap asking this, but are we obligated to get the couple a gift. We just had to pay $142 to rent the tux, my DH is laidoff and I just can't afford to put out more money. They have been living tohather for 10 yrs if that makes a differance?

Does any one have any inexpesive gift ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Um, yeah, you are. But you do have time. And the groom will CERTAINLY be understanding if you send a gift LATER; surely he knows the situation if he's close enough to ask your hubby to be best man.

The bride will appreciate it if you don't bring the gift to the wedding anyway, and so will Emily Post...it's considered tacky to bring wedding gifts to the wedding (although people do it).

Answer by gdiamante at 8:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If your husband has been asked to be the best man in this man's wedding then obviously they are close friends and have been for awhile. Do you have pictures lying around with the couple in it that you are willing to give up? If you do, then you can buy an in-expensive photo album from somewhere like big lots, micheal's, walmart or even a thrift store can have some really cute albums for a dollar or two. Have a printer/scanner? Scan the photos onto the computer and save it so you can give them the original and still have them for yourself. Then put the photos in the photo album, maybe buy a sticker sheet of letters that cost a dollar at the dollar store and put their names on the front of the album. I have done this for a couple that I knew that got married and they loved the gift. It's simple, inexpensive and most people love to have memories like that put together from before they were married with a close friend. Con't
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 8:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• This will work better of course if you have spent time with the couple and were able to take photos of all the fun. Have they already bought a home? Or are they currently looking? You can find inexpensive housewarming gifts like a spice rack or a hanging shelf for the front hallway, (even works good in apartments) at discount stores and thrift shops. If you want to personalize it and have extra paint in a neutral color and small paintbrush, you can even paint their surname on the gift so that it is truly "theirs". There are tons of ideas, I hope these helped!
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 8:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i agree, u should try and do something more sentimental than expensive.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I didn't know that bringing a gift to the wedding is "tacky", I feel better now. Making a picture book is also a great idea. Thank You I am a bad gift giver, I have no creativity.
    I feel 'TACKY' now for asking this question.
    Thanks again.
    Anonymous

• I thought that ettiquette states that you have a year to give a gift. Anyway, as your DH is the bestman, I feel that you should give a gift. Even a $25 gift card for them to have dinner on their honeymoon would be nice.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 8:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Just get a card and put it on a really big box once you get there. LOL Then they will think you got them whatever is inside!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• lol okay, but seriously.. you could get a pic of the two of them together from their "earlier years" and put it in a frame with a poem beside it or a nice quote, put it in a nice box wrap it and give it to them. You can find nice frames really inexpensive if you just look at little.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yes, you do need to get them something. It doesn't have to be expensive. Get a nice picture frame or photo album. If you have pics of them together from over the years, make copies and put them in a photo album or make a college in a 10x13 picture frame. Be sentimental instead of anything else.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009