What is the silliest thing you have ever done based on a belief you have?

It doesn't have to be a religious belief. It could just be something based on an assumption.

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 7:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I still "knock on wood." I think it's more of a force of habit now, then anything. When I was younger, there was one bridge that we drove under and my dad always had me honk the horn. He told me it was to stop the ghosts from following us home. Now I know it's because there is a blind drive on the other side of the bridge. But when I was younger, you better believe I was jumping across the seat to honk that horn! lol
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• As a kid I used to walk under ladders on purpose and other such superstitions you're not supposed to do. I thought since I was born on Friday the 13th the whole "bad luck" thing was reversed for me. So doing those things would actually bring about good luck.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• LOL, KristiS! I used to jump on every crack I came across! Ya know "Don't step on a crack or you'll break your mommas back!"
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i still do all the superstitious things like kristiS did LOL i dont think they will give me good luck though.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• OMB, Kristi, I was always doing that, too. This is a fairly superstitions area, more so when I was a kid. I used to do all that stuff because because it would freak people out so much. But most of it, I started out doing it because I'm not wired to have the patience for all the elaborate ritual that can be involved in superstition.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i use to eat anything i was dared to eat. my friends would put a buncha random things together at lunch & i would eat it...b/c i thought i was an alien haha. i really believed i was from another planet for about 3 years. i dunno why the eating thing tho...something about me being immune to gross human combinations of food or something haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I have OCD and Generalized Anxiety. I used to be afraid to deviate from normal, every day patterns for fear that me changing my actions would cause an unpredictable outcome that I wasn't prepared to handle. So I did a lot of repetitive things in order to attempt to control my environment.  I have had a few painful and unpleasant experiences and I guess this was a response to avoid those things.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I've done many silly things but never any based on any kind of belief.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Umm posted a question asking if heaven has bathrooms. Ok maybe not. I would have to think on that one awhile.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I can think of a hundred stupid and silly things I've done when I believed I was right.

Stubbornness is a fault of mine.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2009