do you think its ok to......

ask parents not to send things to school with nuts but ok to send things with other things like egg,milk sugar etc.... i have 2 kids that have 2 different food allergies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• It will be hard to contol the things that other people send to school, you could just get a few types of snacks that your child can have and send them for just your child to have while everyone else has the snack, if the snack that is sent is ok for your child let them have it with the rest of the class... I would ask the teacher at the start of school when they send the snack list home to include the fact that one student in the class has ..... allergy... then you would have your snacks as back up ... have a fun school year...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 8:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Let your childrens' teachers know the specific allergies. As a teacher, I make parents aware of any allergies that would effect what they bring in as treats. If the nut allergy is so serious that contact can lead to a severe reaction, the school needs to be aware so that safe zones can be created.
    Jonsmommy408

Answer by Jonsmommy408 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• yes let the school know the allergy and ask them to talk with students and inform parents. Im sure parents will respect that ur child has a food allergy and if their child did they would want they same respect
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• *snicker* I think theres a level of sarcasm in this post?? Just checking...

Well, I think I would do my best to adhere to anything the teachers asked or another parent asked as long as it was legitimate and reasonable. The current rules for my kids district are...no nuts of any kind, no chocolate or anything that melts and all candy must be prewrapped. Like I said before I would never intentionally do something out of spite or annoyance but as a mother of 4 kids who dont have allergies, I am prone to forget. This year, I could possibly have one in private school, one in public school and one homeschooled and one in 2 day a week preschool. I cant POSSIBLY keep all the rules for all the schools straight. I might mess them up but I would certainly do my best. Being that I have already dealt with a peanut free district for 3 years, I know the ins and outs of it. Its really not that big of a deal once you get used to it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If any child has an anaphylactic reaction to foods WITHOUT ingesting them, meaning airborne, I believe it is perfectly acceptable to say those foods are not allowed in the classroom period. I don't know of any foods that can cause that severe of a reaction airborne other than nuts though. My son is allergic to milk, eggs, corn, soy, rice, and strawberries, but as long as he doesn't EAT them he is fine. I wouldn't expect people to not send those items for their childs lunch, but for a CLASSROOM snack that is SHARED, have some decency and send something that the poor allergy kid (s) can have too. It is heartbreaking to see the look on a kids face when they can't have something the rest of a group is having, especially when the child is too young to understand. My son is so limited anyway all the time, can't anyone have the heart to include him in a classroom snack sometimes?
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Seeing a nut allergy is the most dangerous, yes they can ask that nut products not be sent. Sugar is a personal preferences not a life threatening allergy (for most people). If you don't want your children to have something or they are allergic to something, TELL THE TEACHER, especially if it is life threatening. I ALWAYS ask if a child has an allergy before I make something or take a treat to school. It is just something decent to do. I would expect parents to ask before feeding my son something.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2009