How can you lose your mucas plug but not be dialating

I am just curious because I lost my mucas plug on friday when I had a contraction, I felt it come out. I have continued to have contractions on and off but nothing regular, I think they are just BH, my dr checked my cervix on tuesday because of me losing my mucas plug and the menstrual like cramping but he said he could only maybe get one finger in my cervix, so I am just curious how can you lose your mucas plug but not be dialating?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• LOSING YOUR MUCUS PLUG IS NOT A SIGN OF DIALTION. HOW FAR ALONG R U?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I didn't think you could. I thought that when you lost your mucus plug it was because it basically fell out b/c your cervix is opening. Was he able to confirm that it really was your mucus plug? I have 2 kids and have never lost mine or had my water break... they always had to do it for me (it was usually done at 7 cm dilated).

beka03

Answer by beka03 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i didnt lose my mucus plug with my dd till one monthe before delivery yet i stared dialting at 6mts and by 7 mts i was amost 4 cm
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Im only 34 weeks so I know I shouldnt be dialating yet. I know for a fact it was my mucas plug because this is my second and I lost my mucas plug with my first but I was at 3 cm when it started to come out. I just thought that losing your plug was a sign of dialation or at least the cervix getting ready for labor so I dont understand how your mucas plug can come out if your cervix is not opening.
    Anonymous

• parts of your mucus plug can come out and it rebuilds itself. it was probably not the whole thing..... maybe just a chunk of it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i don't know how either but it happens with no dilation and it can regenerate so if he said you weren't dilated then you're not.
    Anonymous