My son just left for the army Tuesday...

My heart is broken. I have raised him alone. I am alone and feeling so very depressed. How have you other mothers coped? I am a Christian, so any Christian advice would be so helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• pray, and definately go visit him on family day after he graduates basic. write to him everyday thats what i did when my now husband then bf went away. it helps to get those letters back and occasional phone calls. thats all, its hard and its going to be hard but be strong for him....and know he loves and misses you just as much as you miss and love him
    Anonymous

• HI, I am not a mother of someone in the military but have many family member who have served in the last 10 ten years. Just know that I'll pray for you and your son.. You will be able to communicate with him regularly once he is more settled. Of course it is hard to say goodbye when they leave, but know that he is a part of you, so you are always with him. We have gone through several deployments also and it is a hard road to go through when you are in it. But God never leaves you. When you think you are alone and hurting and can't take it know that God is there holding you and praying with you. He loves you and your son and will never leave you. You need to be strong for your son, because he obviously is entering a new time in his life and I'm sure he is thinking of you and wants you to be okay and not to worry, because he needs to be himself 100 percent to be a good soldier which I'm sure he will be. God bless you.
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 8:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Hang in there, mom. You've done part of your job. You've raised him to be a giving individual, or he wouldn't be where he is. Now the MOST important thing you can do, and the FIRST thing,(not the LAST resort) is to PRAY..That is where your power is when you feel powerless, is putting your faith in God. It is a scary time. My nephew is in Afganistan, and I think of him in prayer daily. Keep your self busy, help someone else along in their difficulty, and try to rest in your faith. Cafemom has many wonderful women who are in the same situation that can help oneanother. Find the appropriate groups and type your heart out!!! Good luck to you, and God be with your son.
    islandwalker

Answer by islandwalker at 11:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My son is in the air force. Here's a bright side for you. After boot camp he will be able to email and call you from time to time. Now, about you. Please do not give him guilt for leaving. He is a man and must pursue his own life. You must get involved in your community. Join a club. Travel. Get outside and join your friends. No friends? Make some. You must keep yourself busy or you will end up in a self pity depression. I'm sure you are a great lady. You raised a good man. Now its time for you to get into other interests. Trust me, your boy will be proud of you if you do. He does not want you to sit home and cry. And he will want to be able to talk to you about his career choice but how can he do that if you are weepy? Be happy for him. Get out there, girl. Its a big world full of opportunities!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• WHEN MY SON LEFT FOR THE NAVY 9 YEARS AGO I WAS PROUD
    molly900

Answer by molly900 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2009