WHo knows the recipe for the simple evaporated milk formula for babies?

I had this once, our kids survived on it, but have lost the recipe. Any one of you frugal moms know the recipe for this?

letsgetreal

Asked by letsgetreal at 8:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• basically you add vitamins to it u can get liquid vitamin otc, but they don't commonly have DHA and that "other one" i can't remember the name, my parents survived on it but I believe store formula would be healthier than an at home recipe, all in all ur decision
    Anonymous

• ok im a pediatric nurse.. and there is frugal and their is plain ol stupid and your not falling in the frugal section.. yes thats what they did back in the day but we have gotten alot smarter since then (well some more then others)
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Alot of people turned out fine AND smart "back in the day" I think if she's adding the proper vitamins, it couldnt hurt.

Just look and see what vitamins are in today's formula, and mimic it. I wish I knew how to make it, thats a good idea.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:30 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• no its not a good idea.. thats why they have formula now.. im a nurse myself a pedi one.. i think i know a thing or 2 about it..we have come a LOOOOONG way since then and learned a lot its stupid to mimic it and really not wise i would never advise a client to do that EVER
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I know the one we use for puppies and kittens but we only use it for a couple of weeks at the most and always IN CASE OF EMERGENCY ONLY, as in the mother died or the puppy/kitten had been separated from momma at too young of an age.
    1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
    1 can water
    1 raw egg
    1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
    As you can see there would be very little sustenance there for long term feeding and I would NEVER give raw egg to a human baby.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Omg. Did anyone even read that I raised our kids on it? Our oldest son in now 38 and the picture of health. I originally recieved the recipe FROM a pediatric nurse. We have 5 HEALTHY grown kids. What has happened to Cafemom when one cannot even ask a simple question without getting bashed or insinuated that one is STUPID for even considering something. If we ever get into depression, I am sure hoping not many infants die of starvation following your advice because they couldnt afford the store bought formula.who are living proof that they didnt die of neglect. What in the world has happened to Cafemom anymore?
    letsgetreal

Answer by letsgetreal at 7:33 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The recipe for evaporated milk is as follows:

2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
    32 ounces water
    2 tablespoons Karo syrup
    3ml Poly Vi Sol Vitamins

There are other recipes as with whey in it but this the basic
    one that I found,
    also I must say I started off breastfeeding then my milk supply
    went low I always used store bought formula in the past and never Questioned
    until I read about the chemicals found in China's baby formula that was linked to
    infant death's and thousands of illnesses and the thing is when I stared asking my family members
    almost all of them were fed evaporated milk on both sides mother and father I think breast feeding is the best but one has to come the conclusion what if I can't breastfeed my baby I think that most health care professionals only know what they are taught in med school on nutrition but we have some very intelligent mothers out there that have a very different agend
    Anjelica1

Answer by Anjelica1 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• Too bad I didn't see this in 2009. You pediatric nurses are something else. You should probably go back to school to learn how not to be rude. Unbelievable. You probably eat all kinds of processed foods that you cannot even pronounce the ingredients and think that the companies that make it would never poison you. Wake up. This formula recipe was in none other but Dr. Spocks book. Was he a little off? Be careful how you answer...nurse. All my children had this formula and guess what? Not one was collicky, had skin,stomach, bowel or any other issues that most babies have on prepared formula. Do your research before you shoot off your not so wise mouth.
    Givemethatbaby

Answer by Givemethatbaby at 12:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I recently put my baby on this because he was allergic to soy his ped said to take him off and put him on nutramigen although he was doing exceptionally well. He was almost put in the hospital for dehydration due to so much diarhea from the soy. Within a few hours of switching to this his diarrhea stopped by the next day he was happy and didnt seem to be in any pain at all... But I did as my ped said and put him on nutramigen the next dirty diaper was diarhea and every diaper afterward for over a week although not as often as with the soy but his stomach hurt him so bad and he stayed gassy so I recently switched back to this and it has stopped and went back to normal BM's... I'm done with chemical induced formulas I'm sticking with this and never looking back... I think the medicine industry has brain washed docs and nurses for years after all half of the meds they give you cause worse side effects than what you take it for
    Becca8409

Answer by Becca8409 at 12:57 AM on Sep. 18, 2013

• Evaporated milk formula was used by my grandmother, mother and I raised three sons and two adopted daughters on it Plus a dozen or so foster children. I recommended it to my daughter-in-law who used it for two of her three children. The only children who didn't take well to this formula were Lactose intolerant. Then we change to soy base. All have survived Happy, Healthy, Smart and with no medical problems. Certainly not the gassy, cranky, colicky, babies of today that are on commercial formulas. Read the ingredient list on the can of even the so called cow's milk formulas! They take milk, strip it down add chemicals and last but not least, iron. With due respect to the medical profession, if they don't know about something, it can't be good for us. Although, I do acknowledge their years of training and their great knowledge of medicine, it does not always mean they are right. Just my opinion, from experience. So, he
    grammakc

Answer by grammakc at 3:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2013