he says his name

my son was born february 19 2008 and he says his name.. when should i start potty training.. and he wont get off the bottle... he also hits me when he is mad..

kaykay13

Asked by kaykay13 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what do these things have to do with each other? they have more to do with you. he still has a bottle because you didn't breastfeed and you still give him bottles. you aren't very good at avoiding situations that will make him frustrated. when he is frustrated you are foolish enough to let him hit you.

He is only 1. It's way too early to worry about potty training when a toddler is only 1.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• you really need a few books about how to care for babies and young children. go to the library if you cannot afford to purchase them, you may be able to find some at goodwill or a discount bookstore too.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Okay...he says his name. That has nothing to do with anything else you mentioned.

He won't get off the bottle because you keep giving him one. (first poster...and if she's giving him breastmilk in the bottle does that make a difference to you at all?)

You start potty training when he's ready.

He hits you because you let him and haven't put a stop to it yet.
    Anonymous

• Wow... those were random statements.

Its awesome he says his name.

Potty training comes to each kid at different ages. Xander started peeing in the potty at 20 months. He is 24 months now and that is still where we are.

Take the bottle away, try a sippy.

Xander hits too. We are working on that. I put his hands to his side and tell him that it hurts mommy when he does that and that it is not nice. It seems to work.
    XandersMommy74

Answer by XandersMommy74 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Potty training, I go off the www.parents.com website. They have ideas, tips and signs to look for to begin potty training. They usually say a toddler can be ready from 18-24 mos but of course, it can take longer. My understanding boys take longer than girls... but it varies.

For the bottle, try giving him a sippy with a soft spout instead of the bottle... or give him the bottle at night and sippy during the day. Nuby has a very good sippy with a soft spout that makes it easy to get the fluids out.

When Kyla hits, I hold her hands down at her sides and tell her that is not ok. When she stops fighting back I let go and she rarely hits. Also, if she is throwing a tantrum, I put her in time out for 1.5 minuts (she's 20 mos).

I hope this helps!

07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:25 AM on Jul. 31, 2009