How would I search?

So I was forcibly removed from BM care when I was about 2 or 3 and placed in foster care and got adopted when I was 7. I am thinking about looking for my BM because I dont know why or what happened and would like to know if I have any siblings aside from my brother who got adopted with me. My problem is I have almost no information other then the name I was given at birth and my BM first name and my BF first and last name, I think my mom has that info but I dont want to ask her or her to know I am looking. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Adoption

• Start searching the names on the Internet. Also look up family trees. You can also do name and phone number searches. If they have ever got social security than you can pull that up to. Good luck.

Anonymous

• How old are you? If you are considered "of legal age" in your particular state then you should be able to request a full copy of your foster care case file (no matter if you were adopted or not). There may be a charge for them to retrieve it, make copies, and remove "identifying information" on other people mentioned but that is YOUR story and you have a right to it. It will explain what the causes for removal were, how the investigation was conducted, the legal findings, and what occured concerning your case until your adoption was finalized.

7 years is a lot of history to be left unknown and you have every right to it. While the state is unlikely to release to you the last names and other info on your bio-family, you at least should be able to see what occurred from the point of removal to your adoption. Good luck!!!
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• OP- Thank you! I am 21 and was adopted in MI so who would I contact to get that file? The DHS? CPS?
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 9:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,1607,7-124-5452_7119---,00.html

This is the link to the Michigan DHS/CPS. I would like you to consider telling your adoptive parents that you are wanting to search & are going to get your file. For a couple of reasons: 1) to give your parents the opportunity to support you during this journey, and 2) sometimes the info in your record has all the graphic, gory details of your life in foster care. While this is enlightening, it can also be emotionally damaging, and I would like you to have a support system when you do this.

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• (con't) I have known of many young people who read the stories of their own abuse only to have to re-live it again. You certainly have the right to your own history, but be aware of the possible pain that you will feel. They didn't remove you because everything was fine. There was a reason. Good luck to you! :)
    doodlebopfan

• Very good points doodlebopfan
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I wish you luck. I spent 20+ years looking for my older half sister, all I had was her adopted name and her birthdate and where she was born/adopted at. Turned out she had been looking for my mom to ask medical questions.
    inadhdworld

Answer by inadhdworld at 8:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2009