How can i get my son to socialise better?

My son has always been sociable til about 8months ago when we moved states. Since moving he has met his grandma (my mother in law) for the first time. He was unfortunatly witness to my mother in law yelling at me and my husband and abusing us.(before that he never even seen people raising voices at each other) Ever since then he is wary of new people and is not doing well in kindi because he wont interact with anyone. If he doesnt get better soon the kindi are going to refer him to see a specalist. Can anyone give me advice on how to help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• he might need a counselor, that incident may have traumatized him. have you talked to him about what happened?
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Keep him away from MIL until she can act appropriately. I would also talk to him about his feelings and that you will not make him be around her if he is uncomfortable. Also, get him involved in some kind of team sport. He will make friends his own age and learn how to deal with others. He will learn how to work as a team. If there are kids his age in the neighborhood, invite some oveer for a playdate.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I'd get him in a smaller group setting. It can be intimidating ot be around all the other kids at once. Try holding a barbeque or other sort of party/play date with two mellow friends and see how he does with that.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It doesn't seem like that one incident would have done it. Moving can be difficult and even more so when it involves a change in culture. With all the change he may not be ready for day care or school.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• you need to have a talk with him and address his feelings! Let him know you know how hes feeling. Add that it ok to feel. Everythings OK. TLC And have a talk with his doctor.
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 9:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2009