How do you cook from scratch?

What exactly does that mean? No refrigerated cookie dough or rolls? No cream soups for cooking? Do you make all of your side dishes from scratch? No lipton noodle, stove top stuffing, etc? Do you make your own ravioli and tortellini? Spaghetti sauce? Bread? How about snacks? Chips, crackers? Ever buy muffin mix or brownie mix? Just curious what "everything from scratch" really means. How about BBQ sauce, steak sauce, ketchup, all of those things kinds of things? You can make your own, I know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes, as you say, cooking from scratch means you take the most basic ingredients and go from there. I used to cook bread from scratch- yeast, flour, salt, a little sugar. And cakes from scratch- flour, sugar, eggs, shortening, and so forth. And noodles from scratch- flour, salt, eggs. Catsup from scratch would mean using tomatoes. Barbecue sauce I'm not sure- tomato sauce, but that is canned, maybe it would be from scratch- I don't know.

Answer by Bmat at 8:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I remember when I used to bake from scratch. You use basic ingredients, I mean this doesn't mean you churn your own butter, lol, but no cookie dough is considered cheating.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I guess the better question is, do those that cook "everything from scratch" actually use any of these products?
    Anonymous

• I think that I would rather save the time and not cook from scratch. I might feel differently if I wasn't all thumbs in the kitchen though. :)
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 8:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I make my own spaghetti sauce (there's no other kind), garlic bread. I wish I could make my own pasta but I dont have the time or machine, I sometimes buy it at a bakery. I've made my own cookie dough, I've bought it premade, I make my own soups, broths, I have a bread machine but havent used it (not in my budget to buy yeast and other stuff), but I do make my own biscuits, scones, pancakes. I've made my own tortilla chips for special occasions, lasagna, I know how to make my own ricotta, but I prefer to buy it (cheaper). I make my own italian dressing, and I make an excellent gorgonzola dressing (we use it to top everything and as a dip). I make my own cream sauces and alfredos (most of the time), gravies, and I grow my 2 favorite spices, basil and rosemary. Alot of the times I do it because I have the ingredients (staples) on hand rather than the store bought stuff. We have a limited budget, and it's really easy to make stuf
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• In my experience, the phrase "from scratch" simply means that one uses raw ingredients instead of mixes or pre-cooked frozen foods.

"Hamburger Helper" might as well have been an obscene phrase in my mother's house. She was raised in a large military family (eight children in all) by two parents who were very into the "do-it-yourself" approach. I, in turn, was raised by that same family in a very communal way. I can cook from raw ingredients, garden, fix things, build, sew, etc. I actually find boxed mixes and meals more difficult! Give me flour and eggs over a cake mix any day!
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• mumma278: you don't need a machine to make homemade pasta. My grandma taught me without a machine and we used a sharp chef's knife to cut the pasta dough. It really isn't that diffcult to make.

Cooking from scratch means using basic ingredients to make something that comes in a box or can. To me, if I can use both basic fresh ingredients and store bought is perfect for me. I have made homemade spaghetti sauce and pasta, cakes, cookies, etc. I am not so good with the baking so I stick to the boxed or frozen stuff. The break and bake cookies are awesome.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I make my own soups and stews, but that is about it! I would love to learn how to bake my own bread and make my own pasta and sauces. I am going to have to google how to do these things. Does anyone know of a group that mentors how to do these??
    Allegra360

Answer by Allegra360 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2009