Any advice for tomato plants not producing fruit~just blossoms?

They bloom like mad and get my hopes up. but no tomatoes! Have a few squash plants doing the same>

lonelyangel58

Asked by lonelyangel58 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• the bees haven't pollenated them, get one q-tip and lightly rub each flower in the tomato plant with the same q-tip, do the same with the squash but use a different q-tip for those , trust me it will work , my uncle is the "gardening guru" , it helped with our watermelon vine
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 8:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Tomatoes are very temperature dependent for setting fruit. It may be too hot or too cold, or maybe there aren't bees to pollinate. But I've heard of the temperature problem. Don't know about the squash plants. I wonder if you could try taking a q-tip or small brush and doing some pollinating, just in case.

Answer by Bmat at 8:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Mom mom came and trimmed my tomato plants and now they are going crazy with fruits. I would suggest trimming them. I didn't know how to she showed me, so I will try to explain. She said to clip off about 70% of the leaves. Clip the ones that will not grow a flower. I didn't understand that until I really looked at the plant. Some of the branches have just leaves and some have leaves and buds. clip the ones with just leaves.
    Also she said if you water them too much they will not produce fruit. Good luck!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You need to pollinate your blooms on your tomato plants. Since you have lots of blooms, pick one and them lightly brush all the other blooms with it. You can use a feather or anything light if you only had a few blooms. Make sure that when the fruit are growing you want to pick off any new branches (often refered to as Sucker's) before they get the chance to grow. You pluck them off so that all the energy your plant has is going into the fruit, rather then growing the plant.

Anonymous

• What kind of squash? When your growing squash, they have male and female blooms. Zuccini will usually grow a bunch of male flowers that will just fall off before they start to produce. You don't have to do anything, they're almost like a weed once they get going.
    With pumpkin plants you actaully have to pollinate a female flower with a male flower. The way you tell the difference is that the male blooms have balls at the base of the bloom.
    Anonymous

• I am pretty sure that female squash and cucumber plants have tiny squash or cucumbers at the base of the flowers, and that is how you can tell they are the female blossoms.

Answer by Bmat at 9:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• tomatoes are fussy. The temp has to be to their liking then of course their is 'blight; to deal with. I heard that 'blight' is bad on the tomatoes this year. I dusted mine last week and will do it one more time and pray it works. I have several out there so we will see. There are some good web sites that tell you what else you can do. One is the Iowa State web page.Not sure where you go from there but it will tell you. Good Luck!
    kristysue68

Answer by kristysue68 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2009