What can I do to treat a burn on my 2yr old dds hand?

She touched my curling iron when I plugged it in after I have told her a million times not to touch it and as soon as I turned my back and stepped into my closet. She didn't cry or anything. She just said"ouch,ouch mommy look " and showed me her hand and it was just a little red.When I checked on it this evening it is still red and she has a blister on her thumb. What can I do to treat and heal the burn? Also, do you think it is a 1st or 2nd degree burn? (Hand was just red in beginning,now it's red and has 1 blister) and it's not her whole hand,just the side where her thumb is. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• you should get it checked out, but I know that honey helps, any burn that blisters should be checked out
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 8:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• aloe vera gel
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Aloe vera and NEVER trust a young child around something hot like that.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 8:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Ice water or holding under a running tap would have been first aid. If a blister is bigger than a quarter, then it needs checked. Since the hand is red....I'd probably have the doctor check her, just in case. Don't pop the blister- that just opens the area up to infection. In fact I'd put a bandaid over the blister to protect it. With the redness, I think doctor- not sure. If it would ease your mind, then definitely.

Answer by Bmat at 8:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If it has a blister it's second degree. Keep moisture on it, like the aloe and lightly cover it. Don't pop the blister as that can lead to infection. If it pops on its own then neosporin or bactine and cover.

I'm sorry this happened. And I hope her finger feels better soon.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If she has a blister, I'd take her to the doctor. If the blister pops, the burn could get infected, try to protect it until you see the doc. The best thing you can do at home is put cold water on it. Do not put anything with oil on it, as it will hold in the burn. My daughter climbed the counter in January and touched the stove with both hands, burns are miserable for little ones. There is a medicine that can be prescribed by your doc called Silvadene, but it helps a ton.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• What are you thinking!!! You told her a million times!!! It should have never been anywhere near her. She is only 2!!! I hope your hair looks real nice.

First, throw the stupid thing away.

It's too late to do the things you should have done. You should have put her hand in cool water. It's a second degree burn, it has a blister and that is the definition of a second degree burn. She may have a scar.

Call your chid's doctor.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I just burned my thumb and had the same thing you described on your daughter. I put neosporin on it and a bandaid. I ended up having to pop the blister and after 3 weeks the skin is finally healing. Ice is also really good on a burn. If she is in pain, give her Ibuprofen. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take her to the ER, urgent care clinic or doctor, just to make sure it isn't infected.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2009