Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

worried

i had posted yesterday about my 8 month old not eating like normal. I finally got her to eat a jar of baby food....same thing she always eats, nothing different. Immediately after she finshed it, she threw it all up. Not a little spit up......i mean gagging and vomiting. Now she has a temp that is rising. I took it earlier and it was 98.7...then went up to 99.5....now its 100.3. She has been crying all day.....wouldn't take her naps. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do???

Answer Question
 
TNT8687

Asked by TNT8687 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Get her to a doctor. Give her tylenol every 4 hours and motrin every 6. My son's pediatrician said it's ok if they overlap closely. Cool baths. Place cool cloths on her forehead, under her armpits, under her elbows, under her knees, and on her genitals. Make sure she stays hydrated. Don't worry about food so much as long as she's getting enough liquids.
    allans_girl

    Answer by allans_girl at 9:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

  • call her doctor
    tnm786

    Answer by tnm786 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

  • What can you do? You wait and see if she is sick. If your baby hasn't eaten much a whole jar of food is too much and why it came back up. The vomiting and the low grade fever may have nothing to do with each other. There is no reason to give Tylenol at this time.

    for info on starting solids go to kellymom.com
    GailllAZ

    Answer by GailllAZ at 9:06 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

  • actually, lukewarm baths are suggested when they have fevers. cool or cold water can raise the temp. do dress her down though.
    tnm786

    Answer by tnm786 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

  • She has been on solids for 4 months now.....she's eating table foods and everything. so I know how much to feed her. I always just let her decide when she is finished eating. I couldnt get her to drink anything but apple juice.....and she got super upset...so i tried the babyfood. She ate the whole thing...and i was proud and excited.....til it came back up. I dont think it had anything to do with how much she had.
    TNT8687

    Answer by TNT8687 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

  • I would call the doc and switch to clear fluids, jello, soup broth, Popsicles, unflavored pedilite (my son refuses the flavored stuff and after tasting it I know why).. . for 24 hours. Watch the fever. It will usually spike in the evening. I usually hold off given meds until it hits 101 but my son is almost 2 so there is a big difference. Oh, BTW how are you taking the temp. Most methods, except rectal, is at least a degree off.

    chrissmom734

    Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

  • My daughter just had a case of the stomach flu she is 11 1/2 mo. and that was the first I had to deal with that, she had it out both ends though. It's hard when it's your first time of them getting sick. I got her some of the unflavored pedialyte and she ate unsalted saltine crackers. The dr. said to keep her off milk products and fatty foods for a couple of days for the lining of her intestines to heal up and now she's fine but it took her about 3 days to snap out of it! Hope he's feeling better soon!
    slynnb

    Answer by slynnb at 11:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

  • the fever and fussyness could be that she is teething but i would take her to the doc just to be safe
    mrsmurders

    Answer by mrsmurders at 11:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN