Do You Think Its Necassary To Feed Your Children's Friends Everytime They Are At Your House?

I'm having a little debate, My daughter was at her friends house tonight for a few hours. Her friends mom called me and told me that my daughter was hungry so I told her to send my daughter home. We are basically neighbors. I dont' think its my daughters friends mothers responsiblity to feed my child unless she was invited over for dinner. I think thats the respectful thing to do,I have also taught my daughter not to walk into anyones house and go and help herself to what she wants out of a refriderator. I was just told that I was raised different than alot of people because when people walk in your house they are a guest but I just think if you have a small family, how can you feed everyone and their neighbors. Does anyone feed their neighbors, kids friends all the time when you yourself are barely making it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I definitely agree with you. It's just plain rude to go over to someone else's house and ask for food or get into the fridge, etc. My son will never be allowed to do that.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 9:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Well my kids are too young still for that. But, if one of them had a friend over constantly and I was already cooking and didn't have enough for the friend, I'd probably give them my portion because I was raised to take care of your guest. They are kids so it's not rude to feed someone else's kid, now, if my daughter was still living with me in her 20's and had friends over, they're on their own! I have a friend who comes over and goes right into the fridge, but it doesn't bother me because she always gives me the same hospitality when I go to her place. I'd say the common courtesy should go both ways, like, if you feed her friend's kid, the parents of that kid should return the favor, or atleast offer to when your child is in their home.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I would certainly not let my children do that but if that had a friend staying the night i would feed them but i find that when there are children at my house 24/7 that aren't mine and are annoying i tend to get upset they have a home they can go to and eat and watch TV and even sleep at they don't need to do all those things at my house.
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• when I lived in the projects the kids would always be over my house eating. It is not that I wanted to feed them but I felt bad for them instead!!
    I am now out of the projects and don't have that problem anymore, but my son has a friend who always say I am hungry within mintues of being here. I feel I have to feed him.
    I do think that if your cooking and the child is here then yes you have to feed him. but if it is getting close to supper and the child leaving I wait until he is gone to start cooking.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son was hanging out at a friends house a couple of houses down and everyday he was coming home with a vitamin water. by the 4th day I told him to take a bottle of water with him or come home when he's thirsty. I don't even want another parent spending $1 a day on quenching my sons thirst. If his friend is here I will offer him water or a popsicle and that is only if I have enough for everyone. I HATE when kids have opened my fridge!
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son's friends are a close group of kids and we each feed the others kids when they are over. I would NEVER tell a child that they had to go home for a drink or if they want a snack. My son's friends know what they can and cannot eat/drink and take what they want. If I didn't want to give snacks and drinks, I wouldn't have kids over. Would you not offer other guests snacks and drinks when they are visiting you? It works the same way with kids.

mamasita98: gimme a break, you would have your kids walk home everytime they are thristy? That is pretty petty. If someone sent my kid home everytime he was thirsty, he wouldn't be going over there, That is just poor manners.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I've got younger kids but unless it's clear that I'm feeding them lunch (as in playdate), I provide snacks but don't want to always be including the guest in meals, unless they have lame parents.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• we have this problem with my SD,

i think if your child, is at someones house during dinner hours.. say 6-8 pm i would expect them to feed them.. id never expect a child to go jungry at my house, if they were id want them to ask..

my SD's friend's mom will take her at 4 pm and bring her back at like between 9-11pm and no food.. but also when we pick her up from her moms she ahsnt eaten yet and thats between 8-9pm!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If other kids are at my house I always offer snacks (fruit, popsicle, granola bars,etc) and I always offer water, juice, or milk. I want people to feel comfortable at my house and if they are hungry I want to know so that I can feed them. Anytime anyone is over and its a meal time, I invite them to stay to eat. Now, I DO NOT want a rude kid just walking in and getting whatever he/she want. I think they should always ask and please and thank you.
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I was raised to always feed/provide drinks for anyone who is in my home. If it was constant and a serious drain on my famlies finances I would reconsider and maybe ask that they bring a snack sometimes. But I almost never have more than 2 or 3 extra kids at my house. To me its normal and expected to feed kids or adults that are in your home.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2009