How do you go from being a junk food junkie to eating healthy?

All my life i have had horrible eating habits.I have a really bad sweet tooth.But iam 30 yrs old and i would really like to start taking better care of myself.And i do have a weight problem,not being overweight but underweight.How do i give vegetables more flavor so i can tolerate eating them?Are there any good websites i can look at for some recipies?Or could any of you share some recipies with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Plus i would like to be a good example for my children.
    Anonymous

• Lemon and lime juice give great flavor especially when mixed with grated parmesan cheese and italian spices. To be healthier brocolli with pepper a little salt and pepper and lemon helps. Sometimes just a bit of garlic or even garlic salt or powder add enough flavor to make kiddos and adults enjoy the veggies. Good luck!!
    kelly02

Answer by kelly02 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• When I was 30 I went in for a physical. The DR. told me to read all labels before eating any food. Too have no more then a certain amount of sugar and fat. Told me to cut out soda pop and to replace it with water. Too look at the money i'm spending on junk and instead use that money for fruit or veggies.....so true! a bag of chips is the same amount as buying a few banana's and apples.
    I lost 50 lbs.!!! by following this advice. However I had my last kid at 35 and the 50 lbs are back. This time it's different, it's the belly and I blame the c-section. The rest of me is fine i just look like I never had the baby!!! lol
    Seriously though...look at what you spend on junk, don't buy it and instead buy fresh food. A pound of grapes is cheaper and better for you, then a bag of Doritoes, am I right?
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:00 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Cook, steam, roast, sautee, and pan-fry vegetables for different tastes.

Use spices like kosher salt, thyme, sage, rosemary, basil, cumin, and garlic for flavor.

Roast vegetables in the oven with chicken or beef for a rich flavor.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Good for you!! The Vegetarian Times Magazine website has an amazing archive of recipes: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/

I have a ton of family friendly, healthy, tasty recipes that I would be happy to share with you.

Here are simple daily eating guidelines; don't go cold turkey, make simple changes.

Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day

Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors

Eat 6 servings of whole grains a day

Eat at least 2 servings of legumes a day

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I serve this it over broccoli (and I make double the sauce).
    Pasta and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
    1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
    1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicey)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
    1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
    1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
    1 cup shredded carrot

Cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently (this can also be done in the microwave; use a tempered glass bowl, like pyrex, cook for 20 seconds, stir, repeat until smooth). Remove from heat. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; toss gently.

• Kadee's Pot Pie, great for lazy cooks like me! You can sub whatever and I'm sure it'll still be good.
    Crust (double this if you also want crust on the bottom, I like it better that way):
    1 c. flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
    1 tsp. salt
    4 tbsp. butter
    1/4 c. shortening (I use earth balance sticks)
    3 tbsp. ice water
    Mix all but the water with a fork until shortening is the size of small peas. Add ice water and mix to pastry consistency. Refrigerate while you mix the filling.
    Filling:
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can vegetable broth
    1 small potato, cut into 1/2" cubes
    1 carrot, sliced
    1 large mushroom, sliced
    1 small can corn (I use frozen)
    1 small can peas (I use frozen)
    about 1/4 tsp. each: sage, thyme, & oregano

cont.

• Mix all these things together (you can use more or less broth to make the sauce the consistency you want). Cover the bottom of two loaf pans with crust (if you doubled the crust). Pour in the filling, and top with the rest of the crust. Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Zucchini and Cheese Enchiladas
    8 corn tortillas
    Olive oil
    2 med. zucchini, sliced
    1/4 c. onion, chopped
    1 sm. can green chili
    1 can whole pitted black olives
    1/2 to 3/4 lb. Monterey Jack cheese
    Enchilada sauce (recipe follows for homemade sauce)
    Saute zucchini and onions in olive oil. Pour some sauce in the bottom of an oven proof 8 x 11 x 2 inch dish. Heat the tortillas one at a time for approximately 30 seconds in the microwave long enough to soften so they roll without breaking. Too hot or too long, then they get too stiff). Dip warmed tortillas into sauce. Fill with small amounts of zucchini mixture, cheese, olives and chili. Roll the enchilada and place in dish

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 AM on Jul. 31, 2009