• In the Spotlight:

A Break?

We have a 15 month old son. We're a military family so we don't live anywhere near relatives. I don't want to leave my son with a babysitter; it's too hard to trust people. So, my husband and I haven't had any alone time in ages. We're about to go home on leave. My mom and grandmother have both volunteered to babysit. Would it be wrong of us to leave him several times just so we can out and have some fun together? I trust my family and I know he'll be safe.

allans_girl

Asked by allans_girl at 9:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not at all. Everyone needs a break! :)
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 9:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Of course not!! Don't you know how much we grandmothers love to babysit our grandchildren? Especially with those pesky parents out of our hair!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Lol~ thats is so sweet!
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 9:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• No, they offered...take them up on it...they were young once...kick up your heels..and I'm with you..I don't trust anyone either...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• No way! I'm also a military wife, my husband, me and our 2 kids live in GA and both of our families live within 20 minutes of eachother in FL. Everytime we come home we leave the kids with my parents and sleep at his mom's. It gives us the chance to go out late and hang with our mutual friends and not have to worry about the kids. I don't think your family will find it rude, they probably miss the kids and want to spend lots of time with them!

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You need it. Don't worry, it'll be fine.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• What is wrong with that. Families loves to watch the little ones just as long as sooner or later they get to go home. By the way having dates with your hubby at least once ever two months or more is healthy in a relationship and keeps it going strong. Most marriages that dont have that lose the spark.
    Anonymous

• I just don't want to feel like I'm basically abandoning my child to my relatives. I know they'll be thrilled to have him and take care of him.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 9:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• They probably completly understand your situation and know that you two do need some alone time sans baby. They are probably happy to help, enjoy time with your husband and let his grandparents spoil him.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I say leave him, go out, and have a great time!!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 11:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2009