What do you send your child to school with to eat if the school bans nuts/peanut butter?

I need some ideas. We don't have a lot of money, but I need to send my kid to school with something cheap to eat and I guess they have banned peanut butter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is definitely something you should talk about with his doctor. He can give you the best ideas, possible refer you to a dietician/nutritionist.
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 9:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• we use cream cheese and jelly- or soy butter and jelly- you can find soy butter pretty cheap at some grocery store, I also know Walmart carries it
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 9:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Mmmm! Cream cheese and jelly, I like that idea!
    Anonymous

• I did apple sauce, granola bars, bagels (w or w/o cream cheese or jelly), boiled eggs, fresh fruit and veggies. Soup or the chef boy r dee in a thermos or one of those soup things. You can also do left overs from dinner if you get a good lunch box.
    ice_angel_k

Answer by ice_angel_k at 9:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Sandwiches, ham, turkey, salami. PB&Js aren't the only sandwich. You can get a lunch box that keeps it cool. You can make your own lunchables with crackers, cheese and pieces of lunch meat.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• What else will your child eat? My son would eat chicken. I had the choice of buying the pre-packaged chicken or grilling our own. If we had chicken for dinner, I would make enough for him to have the next day for lunch. If not, I would get up at 5am to grill him some chicken. Far be it from the school to have a different table for nut free.
    LolaCherryCola

Answer by LolaCherryCola at 9:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Laughing cow cheese is yummy on bread for lil kiddies. I love it too.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 9:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• the best thing to do is to ask the school...or even better...ask the childs mom thats allergic! you would be suprised on what they CAN have...i had a girl in my daughters daisy troop that was allergic to nuts...and i remember them bringing in goldfish snacks, any fruits or veggies...or i made once ants on a log (celery stuffed with cream cheese and raisins on top)
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Can you bring something like a granola bar that has been processed in a factory that processes nuts?
    Anonymous

• no when they typically say allergic to pb its no product with any nuts or made in a factory with nuts...i just remember almost every fruit snack is peanut safe....just read the ingredients...look for anything thats nut related...from tree, pine, peanut, almond...ect
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2009