regret breastfeeding?

My daughter is 13months, and stop nursing about 3 weeks ago, i still have milk, not engorged but its REALLY annoying, my boobs are NOT the same as they were i did not get any of the benefits they say the mother recieves nursing, i am glad i nursed for my daughters health so no bashing over that, but i feel very misleaded about breastfeeding, i was told it takes about 1month to dry up, and ur boobs will go back to normal and all the other benefits, but NOOO. so im frustrated at this point, i was wondering if any other mothers regret breastfeedin for the purpose of there self? i have talked to about 3 other women who regret breastfeeding just wonder if anyone else does, now to all u bashers, rember i said " i am glad i nursed for my daughters health..."

kyliebugs_mommy

Asked by kyliebugs_mommy at 9:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I tried breastfeeding for the first 2 weeks but had to stop. They leaked for at least 2 months after. She is now 6 months old and they are still not back to what they were. I was a 'd' cup before and now I'm a dd. Most people would love to have this problem but I hate it. Nothing fits me right and I don't want to buy an all new wardrobe
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I don't necessarily regret it, but I do think that it is incredibly hard. My dd just turned a year and I am anxious for it to end. She pinches, bites, and scratches. She almost never leaves me alone, and I feel as if I am getting so old and worn out, lol. I almost feel a little traumatized by her. I never know when she is going to bite, and I have bruises on my arms from her pinching. I have to admit that I did love it at first, but now... I just want it to end.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• The length of time it takes to dry up varies by woman. So does what will happen to the size, shape, etc of your breasts. There's no one answer. And what benefits did you not get? Do you know have breast cancer or something? Most BF benefits for the mother are long term risk reducers. And most are from exclusive full term breastfeeding. I don't see why anyone would regret it. You go through some pain, but it's not like you lose anything cause of breastfeeding.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i dont regret it all all. I breastfed for 3 months. I had no engorgment when I decided to stop. My breasts went right back to normal. Perky as ever. Haha
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 9:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I breastfed all 4 kids, all different lengths of time, quitting for different reasons. I wish my boobs were what they were before, however I think I saved enough money of formula to buy myself a new pair.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 10:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You are not the only woman who misses her boobs :) BUT you should know that breastfeeding isn't what did it- pregnancy is! They would have changed either way. I miss mine, too but oh well the kids health is more important, right? You can always get them fixed. I plan to have an uplift/slight reduction when my last one is done nursing.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 10:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It can take a while to fully dry up, sage tea and a tea called no more milk tea..google it, can dry up milk, as can sudafed taken regularly...

BFing isn't what changes your breasts as much as pregnancy and it doesn't matter how long or short you breastfeed if you get milk your breasts will change then too...

My breasts look awesome and I've been BFing for 27 months straight...but after nursing my oldest for 12 weeks they were flat and deflated...they changed every pregnancy and every nursing...

I don't regret nursing and I didn't even after the way they looked after my first....
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I do regret the time I spent nursing. My child is no healthier than other children his age, in fact he gets sick more often. My peditrician admitted that there is very little noticable difference in the illness factor between ff and bf children. That being said I regret the fact that it made me lose so much weight that I looked gaunt. My breasts deflated from a small C to a barely A cup. Its been a year since I stopped and I'm still sore and dripping. Bfing is really not all its cracked up to be. I felt forced into it when it wasn't right for our family by the Bfing nazis.
    Anonymous

• I don't regret nursing either of my children. My only regret is that I stopped at 10 months with my first son. My LO will be 2 Saturday and we're still nursing. With my first it was easy, with the second it was a rough start! But I'm really glad I persisted, with the help of the "Nazis" lol  All of my friends have had different experiences with BFing, some wonderful and some not so wonderful. 

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Anon :19. NO ONE CAN MAKE YOU DO ANYTHING YOU DONT WANT TO DO. You CHOSE to nurse. We didn't sit at your damn front door and MAKE you do it. And it may not have been right for YOU, but it was BEST FOR YOUR BABY. So while I think your attitude about it sucks, kudos to you for making that decision in the first place.

It can take weeks, months, or YEARS for your milk to completely dry up. It depends on your body and how rapidly it understands it no longer needs to lactate. I do not regret nursing one bit. I feel empowered by my bodies ability to completely nourish my baby, and thankful for the long term benefits i've provided myself.

OP: You've gained the biggest benefit of all. You successfully nursed your baby past a year. That is WONDERFUL! The thing about BFing is, it's not for US. It's for our BABIES. Her health is your biggest benefit.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2009