Severe Eczema

Does anyone else on here have a child with severe Eczema? If so tell me your story and how u deal with it. I have a 4yr old daughter that has this awful skin condition and she scatches so bad that it just breaks my heart that she has to go through this. I always get stares n rude comments from kids n adults that sometimes upsets me. It makes me scared for my daughter when she start school pretty soon i dont want her to feel like somethings wrong with her cause i know how mean kids can be about things they dont understand. So if your dealing with the same thing let me know your story and how u deal with it.

mommiejear

Asked by mommiejear at 10:06 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• do you use EUCERIN (spelling) lotion? my DD is 8 months old and has it bad at times and we use that and only use oatmeal type of bath soap Aveeno makes a great line of bath products for eczema
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• yes thats what we use on her but since its so severe it doesnt seem to do the trick. so i really want to take her to an dermatologist be for she starts school.
    mommiejear

Answer by mommiejear at 10:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It is important to realize that in most cases no one treatment will be effective. Medical research continues to show that the most effective treatment plan for eczema — regardless of type — involves using a combination of therapies to treat the skin and making lifestyle changes to control flare-ups. Doing so tends to increase effectiveness and reduce side effects from medications.

My son has this problem and is 2 1/2 yrs old. With proper treatment, most eczema can be controlled. Home remedies for eczema may be as simple as changing your laundry detergent or as difficult as moving to a new climate or changing jobs. Removing whatever is causing the allergic reaction is the easiest and most effective treatment. Clean the area with a hypoallergenic soap every day. Apply lubricating cream or lotion after washing. That helps my son alot. And I feel for ya child. Dove body wash that is Hypo-Allergenic or Eucerin helps.
    Anonymous

• My son breaks out literally from head to toe. Plain white Dove for baths, All free for clothes, clothes only 100% cotton, and a presciption Triamcinoclone ( or something very close to that spelling). If she will let you you can vaseline her affected areas and cover them overnight with plastic wrap. But in the summer that might not be feasible. There is a baby eczema cream in a green bottle that works really well Gentle Naturals I believe.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I finally took my 18 month old to the doc, I tried treating it and it didn't work. We tried eczema lotions, creams like Eucerine, baking soda baths and so on. When I finally took him in to the doc he had big scabby patches all over his legs. The doc gave us an ointment for it and within two days it looked 10 times better, and within two weeks it is mostly cleared up. I was really wary about putting him on the ointment, but it work so well that I now know I should have taken him earlier. I would talk to her pediatrician and see what he/she says.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My grandson has had severe eczema since he was 4 months old. As another poster said..AllFree for clothes washing, Dove for baths, Bath no more than ever 3 days unless absolutely unavoidable. Our dermatologist told us to use Aveeno Lotion for sensitive skin. It used to have a lt blue cap now it has a dark blue cap and says on the label for eczema. When he gets terrible hot spots we use a perscription foam called Verdeso. It comes out like a mousse and works wonders. You can't use it for more than 4 weeks in a row though. Pool water is an enemy, salt (ocean water) actually soothes his skin. When the Dr tolds me this I thought he was nuts. A week at the coast proved him right. We also avoid any clothing the fits too snug or made of mad made fibers. His wradrobe is primarlily cotton.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• A friend of mine uses a lotion from Melaleuca called Renew. It seems to work for her.
    NicoleM12

Answer by NicoleM12 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• dove soap only in the bathtub. short tepid baths as hot water exacerbates the problem. daily antihistamine and a daily routine of not getting too hot outside for too long because that brings it on also. triamcinolone cream on the affected areas immediately after baths and then cover the kid in eucerin cream or something like it.
    the biggest help we had was ommitting all dairy from the diet. asthma and eczema fall on the same gene and in some kids it results in eczema and the others it becomes asthma. both conditions are made worse by cows milk.
    i have two with asthma and one with eczema, getting rid of cows milk stopped all 3 of their symptoms. good luck!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• You need to eliminate dairy. Here is a link to help you learn about (better) plant based calcium: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Keep baths infrequent, short and cool; follow with olive oil or coconut oil.

Keep the child well hydrated (with water), and supplement with a tsp of ground flax seed every day.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I use Aquaphor for myself and my son.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2009