• In the Spotlight:

Floaters?

So I know that it's normal to see occasional floaters during pregnancy, which I've had rarely. But today it seemed different from floaters, and now I'm kind of in a panic. It looked more like white flashing lights shooting across the room really fast!? I'm not sure what could have caused this.. I was sitting down on the bed, not doing anything strenuous. I hadn't eaten since 12 this afternoon, and it was pretty hot in my house at the time being so my SO thinks that it has to do with that. I feel perfectly fine now. Is this something that I should be concerned about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Are you freakin kidding me??? LOL.. i was just thinking this today. I can't believe someone else asked. I have them normally too and i was sitting outside today and they are horrible right now. I wasn't sure if they were supposed to be worse during pregnancy i was about to ask this same question!!
    Anonymous

• Floaters are one sign of preeclampsia. It also can be that you are not eating right and your sugar is dropping. Also if you are not drinking it could be dehydration.
    mommytoangel407

Answer by mommytoangel407 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• if your floaters are flashing and doesn't stop call your eye doctor IMMEDIATELY. It could be a sign of detached retina. Trust me honey. I ended up having to have surgery on my eyes because of how terrible they were. This is one of the warning signs you should be wary of
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• It can be an ocular migraine. You usually but don't always have pain. You can even go blind for awhile.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• why do ppl try and scare ppl one here just give advice dont try and scare ppl into thinking some thing that they most likley dont have!
    Anonymous

• I am sorry anyonymous 1023. I was just giving options from the smallest thing to the biggest thing during pregnancy. I would not want her to brush it off if it does not stop.
    mommytoangel407

Answer by mommytoangel407 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Anonymous, I was not trying to scare her. Simply giving caution. As a woman who has lived her entire life with floaters and vision problems I do happen to know more than the average person in regards to eye health seeing as I have been required to go to the eye doctor every 6 months for the last 15 years of my life. I did have surgery in march of this year on my eyes to correct my vision as well as to prevent repair cornea problems as well as avoiding ulcers on my eyes.

Floaters are "harmless" but when they are flashing they CAN be something wrong. Especially if this person HAS eye problems. Detached retina is one thing that can cause flashing floaters that persist. Precaution is NOT the same as scaring someone. She asked about her symptom and people simply advised her as to what to look out for.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 8:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009