Is It Wrong To Tell A Child To Eat What You Made Or Go Without?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no its all about how you were raised each person is different i would tell my children the same thing
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Depends on the age mostly, but nope, its not. I'm not a short order cook. This isn't a restaurant. You will eat what's fixed or you won't eat unless its something you truly don't like and I'm aware of that before I make it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I don't think it is. I give my kids a couple choices, but if they don't want what they are offered then they don't get anything else for that meal.
    Anonymous

• this is a hot topic between me and my husband...he believes you eat what your given...period...i believe you have to try everything on your plate...but i wont force them to eat it...but on the other hand if its something they typically like...then yes they have to eat it...we had a huge fight me and my husband when i made something with spinach....i made the kids at least try a bite...but he wanted to make them eat it all...until he tried it...turned out he didn't like it either....i kinda won that round! lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Nope! My kids have to try everything, and what is served that meal is all they get to eat. My boys are 2 and 3 and are great eaters!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I think it is. I think parents should offer at least ONE food they know their child will like, then expect the child to eat what everyone else is served. Why does food have to be a struggle? I'm coming from the perspective of a toddler-mommy...I'm not sure about older kids.

My daughter is in a "picky" stage, and has been refusing a lot of different foods. But, I always serve one or two foods she likes, along with something new. Today at dinner, we had chicken breast (her favorite), kernel corn and whole wheat bread. She refused the corn (well, she ate one or two kernels!), but ate the chicken and bread. At least she didn't go to bed hungry.

That's just my opinion.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i do not think so. i remember vividly sitting at the dining room table all by myself for hours on end refusing to eat something or another on my plate. i never gave in and ate it though........i just went without dessert or snack b4 bed. and i never starved either. you are not running a restaurant!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son's therapist thinks that I should make something different for him... I have a budget, I'm not making 2 meals to make him happy. But, say I make pork chops with spicy seasonings, I'll bread a pork chop just for him, and I always try to make one thing I know he will eat. It usually works when he dont like something to tell him to take 5 bites of it and he dont have to touch it no more. Sometimes he ends up liking it.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Well I wish I had done it more with my kids. But my mom always had at least one thing we liked at dinner time. But that got kind of complicated with both me and my sis being rather picky. For instance, I only eat creamed corn, sis likes on the cob or plain buttered and not creamed. So if you have more than two kids I don't recommend you go that route.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I used to think it was wrong when my son was 3,4,5 and then I noticed he was just always wanting a sandwich, pizza, chicken nuggets. Now I tell him, what I serve for dinner is WHAT'S for dinner!
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 30, 2009