• In the Spotlight:

3 part brain surgery for epilepsy?

Has anyone on here been through this with their child... Or know anyone that has??

I'm just looking for stories, experiences, feedback... My son has had the 2 part surgery, ending in a partial left-hemispherectomy, about 4 years ago... After the seizures returned, we have tried SO MANY other treatments, and now this 3-stage surgery is being recomended!! (initial craniotomy to implant a grid of electrodes directly on the brain tissue, followed by a week of monitering, then a resection of the seizure center, and implanting ANOTHER grid, followed by ANOTHER week of inter-cranial monitering, and one last resection to make sure that ALL of the problem spots are removed before re-closing his skull...)

I sounds horrendous, but there may be some hope in this surgery for my son, and I would LOVE to speak to ANYONE who has experienced this type of surgery. THANK YOU!

Elyssa414

Asked by Elyssa414 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• David has had a 2 part surgery where they went in and put the grid on and after a week of tracking the seizures they went in and took out the piece where he had the most action. Then we stayed in the hospital for almost another week to let them watch him while it healed a little and then we went home. Yes it did calm the seizures down alot but now he is starting to have seizures again so we are trying to work with his meds. I don't know what they are going to do next because he is starting to have more seizures and they are getting closer.
    christydlewis

Answer by christydlewis at 7:50 AM on Jul. 31, 2009