If your kid was temporarily separated from u in a park, and you seen another mother trying to help your child to find you, how would you react?

This happened to me once. I was the mother trying to help, I was afraid because I didnt want the girls mother to think I was doing something wrong, and alot of other parents just sat there when they seen the little girl crying and looking around. The mother found her kid less than 5 minutes later, but didnt say anything to me. I wasn't looking for any appreciation, just wanted to make sure the girl was safe.

mumma28

Asked by mumma28 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have had to stay with a kid for a couple minutes until the mother or father found them a few times. I usually just stand there with them and say its okay, mommy or daddy is coming soon. Its usually just a min or two I have to wait. At least I know that I would never do anything to a child and I would rather be the one to wait with them then anyone else but you never know how parents will react.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:03 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Its sad that ppl react that way
    Anonymous

• Exact thing happened to me in a toy store. Now, I won't help by taking the child's hand. Next time, I'll tell the store clerk. But in a park, what do you do? SO sad it's gotten to this in life.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• With a lot of gratitude. She could just have been so overwhelmed with every emotion under the sun, fright, relief, anger, that she couldn't speak, or she just wanted to get her little girl home safe. Plus with how many people will report the stupidest stuff to cps she was probably shit scared to say anything in case some one did report her.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• ! would have been very pleased if another parent had helped my child and would have said thankyou!! I cant believe she didnt say anything to you. Some people are so rude. You did the right thing and she should of at least said thanks. :)x
    saraloutoni

Answer by saraloutoni at 11:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I would approach the child and ask what was wrong but, i would never touch them! this could easily be misconstrued. if in a store i would immediately go to customer service for them to make an announcement over the loud speaker. idk, in a park i would probably just stay next to the child and look around for a frantic mother! if it had been a while i would start yelling, asking if anyone had lost their child!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I would have thanked you, but you do have to be cautious that they weren't trying to take your child.
    Anonymous

• I don't know but I've been there. I found a three year old alone outside my house one day. We hadn't been in that neighborhood very long and I didn't know where he belonged. So I ran to my neighbor's who had been in the neighborhood for like 20 years and worked at the school, and she wasn't sure either. So I did call the police and they came, about that time, mom came outside, it was early morning and he apparently wandered outside alone, she hadn't even known he was awake yet. They talked with her for a minute and then left. But I felt so weird the whole time, the child wasn't scared but wouldn't talk to me either. Just played with my daughter's toys.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:06 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• canadianmom1974........all those emotions going through your body along with an adrenaline rush could make you absent minded about everyday niceities(sp?) like thanking someone for protecting your child! ya know! i know i would be more focused on my son than his savior!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yea I understand all that you were all saying, like I said, I wasnt looking for gratitude. I didnt touch her either because I knew she was scared, I just watched her to make sure she didnt move from that spot, and for her mother, while telling her it was ok. My problem is, I was the only one who reacted. If that had been MY child, and no one tried to help, I'd be pissed.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2009