Do you have to buy school supplies for your childs classroom?

I've noticed this is a hot topic lately. Between all of my kids, I have dealt with more than 20 teachers, and never been asked to send supplies to school! I buy them notebooks and pencils, but that's just extra. They get all that at school, too. So, when did this start? Does anyone else NOT get a supply list?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• when i was in elementary they always gave a supply list.they even put paper towels and soap on the list for our classrooms.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 11:03 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• We have to buy stuff and the list does grow.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• yep they always asked for hand sanitizer, construction paper, paper towels, stuff like that...i asked the teacher why one time and she said the budget they are given for school supplies is non existent...she said a lot of teachers are supplying these things out of their own pockets now, and its become too costly for them....that's not right!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My son gets a school list of supplies needed that we have to pay for. It was the same for me as well when I was little.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Our school sends out a list. And one year we had a teacher that would send home a note when she needed extra baggies, kleenex and other non-school related items. I don't mind buying them, I actually enjoy it! lol
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Theres a list at our local stores of our school school supply list for all grades.
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 11:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• In our state the teachers only get $200 to last through the whole school year. The teachers here are not allowed to ask the students to bring in supplies. I'm an education major, so i spend alot of time with teachers, and most of them say by the end of the year they are buying supplies out of pocket for their students to have. It always nice to have your child prepared with supplies if you can afford it just to give her a helping hand. Teachers are very underpaid, it's best not to make their jobs any harder than it already is.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:09 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Some schools just don't have the budget to purchase tissues, hand sanitizer, or windex to wash down the desk tops. When my children attended schools that asked for these items (they were never mandatory, even though they were on the list), I would just purchase them later when I had the money and send them in before cold and sniffly season began.
    My daughters are in high school and the budget was severely cut over the summer so a lot has been done away with. I found out the last day of school in June that the clinic's budget got cut, too! So I'm trying to locate local physician's offices that will donate some basic supplies like bandaids, alcohol pads, and gauze to help out, but haven't found any yet who are willing.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:10 AM on Jul. 31, 2009