Do you ever feel bad after you punish your children?

Sometimes it makes me feel really mean. I cry. Is this just me or does everyone feel that way.

akmami0f4

Asked by akmami0f4 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think we all do. I don't like to punish my kids but I will if I have to. I try not to let my temper get the better of me but it does...if I overreact I always apologize and let them know I was wrong for acting that way, also explain to them why I got mad or why I had to punish them. Kids will listen better if they are given a why not instead of just a plain no. Give them a reason not to do something, instead of just telling them, don't. This has helped me a lot. I regret the fact that most of the time, punishing them is necessary for fighting or whatever it is they do, lol. I don't like it, no, but I do what I have to do.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 11:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yes! I feel horrible when I must enforce!
    Anonymous

• It makes me feel bad too... I've cried myself
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 11:13 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Of course, who doesnt?
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 11:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I feel bad, but I know it has to be done. I won't let my child grow up spoiled and horrible.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 11:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Sure do.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 12:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I felt bad once or twice. Both times I spanked my daughter and later I was thinking about it and realized that she didnt deserve to be spanked. The 1st time, she didnt understand what she was doing was wrong and the other time, the punishment didnt fit the crime. But I learned from those experiances and I now think before I punish my kids,
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 12:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• All the time! My 1 year old is learning the concept of "No" and I feel like all I tell her all day is "No". My oldest has her days, too, where I feel like all I'm telling her is "No" and putting her in timeout. I hate those days :( I always feel so mean, but there is always a reason behind it (usually a safety reason), so I guess I have to push the mom guilt aside and realize that I'm keeping them safe and not just being mean.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• you get over it when they are teen agers and you want to choke the living sh!t out of them
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 2:22 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Guilt........it comes with the territory. I feel terrible after I disipline my kids. I know it has to be done. I don't want my kids to be holy terrors. But alot of times I after I yell, spank, or whatever I wonder "could I have done that better???" Then I remember that I'm doing my job, because I'm RAISING children, not SERVING them. It's our job to mold and sculpt them into adults, and disipline is part of the job. Sure, there are times when I know I was out of line, and I'm quick to admit it and even applogize to my kids, but most of the time I know I'm doing what I'm suppose to be doing by teaching them consequences.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 2:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2009