I am a very picky eater. How do I learn to like different foods?

Seriously. I don't mean to be picky and its not the flavor of food, its the texture. For instance, I cannot eat a tomato, they are firm, but kinda mushy, and slimy. And hiding things doesn't work either, people have tried. Beef is just intolerable because it turns my stomach, and anytime I accidentially eat fat or gristle, I am finished. That goes for Pork, Chicken, Ham and Turkey too. If I eat too much fruit, I start to gag. I love peaches and pears but one half a canned one is all I can do. I eat carrots, peas, and creamed corn, for veggies. That's all. I can eat a salad as long as its a "chef" salad. Anyhow, how do I get over this? I am almost 35, and its ridiculous.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• you may have digestive issues or it may be psychological issues. i would talk it over with you doctor and see what he/she says.
    TiredbutHappy1

Answer by TiredbutHappy1 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• The reason I ask is because I want to eat healthier and while I don't eat a lot of junk food, I practically live on starches!
    Anonymous

• It doesn't sound like it's just the texture. My son has problems with textures and can't eat tomatoes but can eat spagetti sauce. He can't eat onions but can eat onion powder. He doesn't eat hardly any vegies because of the textures but you to.

My son, now an adult, has tactile sensitivities. Certain touches feel like pain. He has problems with clothes and temperatures and other things. He has had problems since he was a baby. When he started eating he had physical and occupational therapy to help him eat.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Wow how do u keep from starving? Just find ways to make the food texturaly acceptable.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• OP: Wow, never thought to ask if it was medical. I know my mom said that when I was a baby/toddler, I would always choke when given water. (I still don't like it that much.) and still gag on it if I drink more than a few sips.

But yeah, spaghetti sauce--love the stuff. Onions, only if they are tiny and sauteed to death. My Best Friend's mom, once asked me to stay for Lasagna (my all time favorite food) but the second I bit into it, I spit it out (luckily we were eating outside, away from her family) but her mom laughed so hard (she was secretly watching for my reaction). It was eggplant instead of noodles. I had never had eggplant before, but ewwwww.... again that "firm, but slimy" thing. My BFF ate my eggplant. I ate the sauce and cheese.

Anonymous

• OP again: I have no idea how I don't starve! But I can eat one of every color vegetable. Like the carrots (but again only canned, can't eat them raw), peas (canned again, cause I love older peas not new peas) and creamed corn. The meat, like I said I can eat it, but I only buy boneless skinless chicken breasts, nothing with bones. Beef, well hamburgers and meatloaf are okay. I won't eat a steak, and I will kind of eat a roast as long as there are carrots and potatoes, and its fallen apart. Won't touch a pork chop (again fat and gristle). But I do eat fish, particularly tuna and salmon when I can, ham (not as lunchmeat though), and turkey as long as I am careful and the chicken breasts. Otherwise its mostly breaded chicken/veal patties or breaded fish cutlets. Fruits are mainly bananas, applesauce, pears, peaches, plums, grapes and blackberries. But aside from bananas we rarely have fruit. No, yogurt, cottage/cream cheese.
    Anonymous

• I'm the same way you are about food, and I'm autistic (Asperger's). I also can't stand for food to touch other food (I do not CARE what it looks like once it's in me) and also won't eat most casserole type things (more touching.) Uhhh, the onion thing...try onion powder, too. You get the flavor, but the nasty little pieces aren't in your mouth or squeaking on your teeth. The only lasagna I will eat is my own recipe, and it took me most of life so far to get around to trying it in the first place. OMG, the fat/gristle on meat...I completely relate. Gag. I'm the opposite of you about vegetables, though -- I won't touch most of them cooked. It's raw, or not at all. Creamed corn makes me nauseous just thinking about it.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 12:18 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The best advice I have for you is this:

1) keep your eye out for foods that are sort of appealing, and look for ways to customize it more personally; or ask for things to be left off or out. Once you play around with it, you might find yourself loving it....you know, your way. Even if it's never appealed to you before, if, like, a picture in a magazine or somewhere makes it look good, experiment.

2) Experiment with adding healthy things to your regular foods -- I have managed to embrace adding dry oats, milled flax, wheat germ, protein powder, and powdered milk into different foods.

Good luck! :O)
    roachiesmom