Please clarify the "peanut rules" for me.

Is it no peanuts because the baby could be allergic or because they could develop an allergy?

What is the peanut age?

Can I start intruducing peanut to my 11 month old, since we have no family history of an allergy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I give my 11 mo. old little bits of peanut butter sandwich if I have one but I'm not totally sure either. I thinks it's because they could develop an allergy. I just know to hold off on the honey!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• My 9 month old eats peanut butter. I introduced it and we have no food allergies. The only thing I wait one year on is honey. I know many will disagree with me, but that's what I have done!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I was very confused about that very same question awhile back, so I asked the nutritionist at the WIC office about it. She said that they recommend 2 because so many kids have allergies to them, not because they will develope allergies from eating it. I guess it's easier to deal with a 2 year old with an allergic reaction than it is a baby. (ok, sounded wierd to me) She also said that if I had tried giving my daughter Peanut Butter before, and she was ok, then it's fine to give it to her. So, your child should be fine.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• You just have to be careful with it though, because they can easily choke on it. (peanut butter)
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• its the allergy and the choking factor. if its peanut butter spread it very thin. peanuts are a choking hazard as well b/c of the size, so just be careful giving them. i didn't give my daughter peanut butter til she was 1 1/2 and she started having peanuts at 2.
    it is easier to deal with allergies in an older child b/c the risk factors w/medications aren't as high as they are for infants
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i was told not to give them peanuts tell they are atleast 1 years old but my daughter has eatin them ever sense she coud eat solids and never had a problem
    AnukahNoel

Answer by AnukahNoel at 12:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2009