If you were an employee in a grocery store and you were standing in a department u weren't responsible for......

A customer came and asked you to find something, or about something, and you didn't have to, how would you help that customer?

mumma28

Asked by mumma28 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you don't know where it is, then you could at least point them in the direction of someone who does, or go the extra mile and find the person yourself to ask. I hate it when i get the "its not my department" speech too, but I also hate it when people give me an obviously wrong answer just to get me out of their way. Don't waste my time like that! Ugh..
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yes. It annoys me to no end when I get the this isn't my department speech.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• if i had no idea where something was, i'd go get someone who knew. i don't give a dam if its not your department, if you are on the clock and standing there then you should be helping the guest.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Yes I would & when I worked retail that same situation would happen all the time. I never gave a customer the "it's not my department" speech, I always helped them find what they were looking for, but now as a shopper I get it all the time & it makes me so mad!
    Inkedmommy007

Answer by Inkedmommy007 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• Look for my next question in shopping
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I did too. when I worked in groceries. It seems like alot of employees have that attitude, " It's not my job!"
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I would let them know I would find out for them.
    Anonymous

• I do merchandising work in Walmart stores. If a customer approaches me thinking that I am an employee, it is my responsiblity to see that the customer is helped. If I can, I do. If not, I take that person to an employee and get someone to help them.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:08 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Help them if you can, or find someone who can. Don't just leave them. Every job is about service in some way or another. If you cannot provide the service for the customer, find someone who can or risk losing that customer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I worked at Wegmans for years as a cashier. Many times I would be stopped trying to go from the front end to the employee lounge/restroom at the back of the store. And I hardly knew where anything was. We were always told that if we didn't know the answer to find an employee who does or grab one of the employee phones on the floor to ask CS!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2009