just curious, how old is too old for a bottle or pacifier?

i knew someone who still gave her six year old a bottle at night and lets her 4 in a half year old suck a pacifier to the point where her upper lip is red and it bothers me.

mamamia431

Asked by mamamia431 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I hate when I see kids that can't talk straight to you cause they have a big fat binky in their mouth! I think when the kid is old enough to say sentences, take the binky away! I don't have any kids that age, but wouldn't make it hard for the kids to learn to talk?

As for a bottle, I think somewhere between 1 and 2 years it should be taken away.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• omg that is tooooo old
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I say 1-1 1/2 y old for a bottle and 2 at the latest for a pacy
    Anonymous

• breastfeed and never give bottles and pacifiers.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• well my daughter lost the bottle at 10 months. she still has her pacifier, only at night time, shes 3 1/2. i keep wanting to get rid of it, but she won't attach to something else and we keep having major life changes going on so i don't want to upset her further. (an excuse i know, but hubby will be home in a few weeks and can help me get through it). my son will lose the bottle before 1 and he hasn't hooked to his pacifier so hopefully i won't have this problem with him.
    i can't stand to see a child that is old enough to walk around and have a conversation w/a bottle. i think they should be off a bottle no later than 1 1/2 and a pacifier (on a regular basis) no older than 3
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• i think 3 is good for a pacifier.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• maybe even 4.
    PURPULbutterfly

• 1 1/2 for bottle and 2 1/2 for paci.. and the lady that said no bottles or paci's ever sooooo tired of the I BREASTFEED I AM GOD types
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• my daughter was 2 and a half when i broke her of the paci and she called it her paciboo, and i knew it was affecting her speech, so i dealt with one night of her crying herself to sleep, and then we moved on to other things she liked sticking in her mouth like popsicles and suckers. she and my son was broke from the bottle by age 2 and it bothered me alot to see my friend giving her kids who are the same age as mine a bottle and paci, although its not my place to say anything, i never wanted to offend her, but i know its not right.
    mamamia431

Answer by mamamia431 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• If you give a paci at all, it needs to stop at one, along with the bottle. A paci is a great way to reduce the risk of SIDS but after that it needs to go.
    XandersMommy74

Answer by XandersMommy74 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2009