Question

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
19What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.1 Corinthians 3:16-17
Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.
Romans 12:1-2
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

WHAT DO YOU THINK IS BAD FOR YOUR BODY AND WHAT SHOULD YOU NOT DO WITH IT?? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

hinson7169

Asked by hinson7169 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good Question. This verse immediately came to my mind. "God wants you to be holy, so you should keep clear of all sexual sin. Then each of you will control your body and live in holiness and honor-- " 1 Thes. 4:3-4

Because the Holy Spirit lives inside of us we need to each learn how to control our own bodies. Making sure we know how to set our own boundaries so we don't become stumbled and tempted. I like how it says, "each of you will control your own body" other versions say "each one of you SHOULD know how to control your own body" It doesn't give you a universal boundary (ex. "Second base is the limit") It says to be holy and we have to know when we are crossing the line into "lustfull passion" that it describes in the next verse.

We each need to know how to control our thoughts, our passions, and our bodies in response to our sexual desires.

That is what came to my mind : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:11 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I think you need to ask your church group about this. Not cafemom. JMO
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2009

• There are many things we sholdn't do to our bodies. Some more serious, like alcohol and drug abuse, some less serious like eating the wrong foods (yes, one of my issues)

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:02 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I believe that we are to keep our bodies as the temple of a living God. His spirit dwells in the Believer.
    Smoking cigaretts is just the same as someone walking into a beautiful church temple and just throwing a bucket of tar on the walls and floor..add the ceiling too.
    Drinking alcohol to the place of being drunk....why do we think they call it spirits? God tells us to keep a clear mind.
    Sexual sins...God desires for a man and a woman to have sexual intercourse to multiply the earth. However; once you are done spreading your seeds...LOL...then we are still to enjoy one another in love..becoming one.
    When we go out and drive like a maniac...we are then tempting death and that is wrong because we are not to kill.
    We are not to tattoo and pierce our bodies like the pagans do and did.
    When we become who we are at birth, we are made in His image. He paid for us with His life. We no longer belong to ourselves. PAID for w/1
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 3:18 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• By the way before anyone freaks out and says that I am being judgemental...
    I have a tattoo
    I had my ears pierced
    I had a baby out of wed-lock
    I used drugs
    I had a drinking problem
    I GOT SAVED.
    I still am not perfect.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 3:20 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I see a lot of parallels between these verses and some Hellenic philosophies. It's almost like its a diluted version of Stoic teachings~ 1 Corinthians as it addresses the idea of soul. And yet these verses are a definite appeal to asceticism of the body. These verses are asking more than just avoiding what can harm a persons body. It's demanding an adherence to a stricter physical and ethical standard.

For me personally, well I'm not an ascetic. But things that are overbalanced; set to one extreme or the other is generally undesirable and unproductive for my physical aims and desires.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:13 AM on Jul. 31, 2009